Railroad Forums 

• Accessing the Internet while on the train

• Tell us where you were and what you saw!
Tell us where you were and what you saw!

Moderator: David Benton

#146695  by Jersey Jeff

On some of your long distance train trips, when the scenery was pretty boring or it was dark out, do you wish you can surf the web or check your e-mail on your laptop? While many mobile phone carriers offer a scaled-down and costly version of the web on their phones, I found a way to get your mobile phone working as a USB modem for your laptop, costing you nothing but minutes. Of course, if you are signed up one one of those "free nights and weekends" plans, then the call would cost you next to nothing.

Anyway, here's instructions on how to access the Internet from your laptop using your mobile phone and a cheap generic USB data cable:http://thecontrarian.org/?p=364.

I set the whole thing up on my Apple iBook after reading two articles on the subject:
http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000930027824/
http://homepage.mac.com/jrc/contrib/mobile_office/

I got a reasonable connection last night at home and will try it on Amtrak's Pennsylvanian on Saturday (free minutes on weekends). I know that my phone's reception in the Alleghenies is pretty lousy, so I'll see how it goes for a few hours.

#147359  by CoastStarlight99

WOW!!! Those are excellent links, I have looked into this before...I did not want to pay $70 for Verizon Brodband and WiFi on trains is a rather rare finding! I am deffinetly going to try that out, I have a Verizon VX4500, and intend to purchase a data cable on ebay now! Thanks!

#147371  by Jersey Jeff

The speeds aren't as quick as broadband, but for web surfing & e-mailing, they were more than adequate on my iBook. My biggest concern, as I mentioned in my blog entry, is what happens when I'm in areas w/o any service.

Second, Verizon's National Access isn't available in all areas according to the maps I've checked on their web site. Your mileage may vary. :wink:

#147929  by crazy_nip

see if verizon offers ev-do wireless in your area... it is wireless internet over CDMA, but considerabally faster (300k) than traditional services.

I am doing a pilot test for my company now, and its great where I can get signal (IE: not everywhere), but the nice thing is that it falls back to 1xRTT signal when ev-do is not present, so you at least get SOMETHING

I would not recommend 1xrtt, the cards are VERY expensive and the speed is not too great. its fine for checking email, but graphic intensive stuff takes quite a while to load sometimes. But signal is very widespread

the last time I took an amtrak train (1993), there were many times I did not have signal, so that is something to consider too, if you cant get any cell phone signal, you arent going to be able to use your wireles either...
 #148071  by Jersey Jeff

Jersey Jeff wrote:I got a reasonable connection last night at home and will try it on Amtrak's Pennsylvanian on Saturday (free minutes on weekends). I know that my phone's reception in the Alleghenies is pretty lousy, so I'll see how it goes for a few hours.
Reception was better than I thought (although I had problems getting a signal east of Lewistown and Johnstown, PA) and speeds were acceptable. However, I wouldn't be doing any major downloading of files while on the train!

#148129  by Sam Damon

Between VZW and Alltel, I had a solid cellular connection the entire trip PGH-CHI on the Capitol Limited.

VZW has rolled out EVDO in the greater Pittsburgh area, so I think you'd be okay there. I'm not sure how quickly Alltel's rolling out its own EVDO service around Cleveland, but I think VZW should have it up Real Soon Now.

As noted earlier, when EVDO isn't available, your connection will fall back to 1xRTT. FWIW, I was able to get WAP through a free proxy on my phone; YMMV.