Railroad Forums 

• First Class In The Corridor

• Tell us where you were and what you saw!
Tell us where you were and what you saw!

Moderator: David Benton

#140566  by NS VIA FAN

I had to be in Ottawa on Sunday so decided to head out a day early. VIA has a Saturday evening service from Toronto that fit my schedule perfectly. I took the TTC Subway down to Union Station in plenty of time for the 18:30 departure of Train #648. I was traveling in VIA1 (First Class) so made my way to the Panorama Lounge. The attendant asked if I would like a newspaper and told me to help myself to a beverage: Coffee, tea, pop and juice are available. Boarding is announced about a half hour before departure.

http://www.viarail.ca/classes/en_serv_clas_via1.html

We will be running combined with train #668 (to Montreal) as far as Brockville. This is what VIA calls a “J” (joined) train. The front portion: #668 consists of a F40 and several HEP-II cars (rebuilt, Stainless-Steel cars) followed by #648 with a P42 (at mid train) and an LRC consist for Ottawa.

Being Saturday evening, VIA1 is only about half full but the coaches are well occupied. My seat is next to an Exit window so I’m shown how to break the glass in an emergency. The attendant asks if I would volunteer to handle the end doors in an emergency also. No problem, so she shows me how to release the doors and lower the steps. This is standard procedure on VIA and I’ve been asked to do this before.

Service starts before departure with a basket of chips and snacks passed around. As we get underway, the attendant collects tickets and gives out a menu. The selection tonight: Steak, Halibut or Pasta but first there is a beverage service and I have a Labatts Blue.

After a quick stop at Guildwood we are back up to speed and passing everything on Hwy 401. The parallel GO Subdivision is quiet and we meet only 1 inbound Bi-level but there are several consists tied up for the weekend in joint VIA/GO Oshawa station. Since we are the last eastbound train on Saturday evening we will be making all corridor stops except Port Hope and Napanee. This calls for a lot of fast running between stops. I have my GPS with me and watch as we maintain 90 to 95 mph most of the way.

Just before the dinner service starts hot towels are passed out to freshen up. Next comes the trays with the appetizer: Cheese and Marinated Mushroom Salad followed by your dinner selection and a choice of wines. I’m having the steak, garlic mashed and grilled vegetables. Not cooked to order from the dining car kitchen but still very good! Desert is Chocolate Mousse Cake with coffee and to finish of the meal service: a chocolate truffle and a liqueur.

I had planed to get some work done on the laptop (VIA provides at seat power (also wireless internet on some schedules) But after another pass of the bar-cart it was nice to just sit back and enjoy the scenery through those huge LRC windows.

We were now slowing for the yard west of the Brockville station and it was announced that power would be off for a few moments while the trains are separated. The Montreal section pulls into the station first and we are right behind it. After a brief stop we head out on a CP branch line to Smiths Falls. This is un-signaled territory with numerous grade crossings. The horn is continuously sounded but we still maintain the 90-95mph running. We stop at the former CP station in Smiths Falls then enter VIA owned (former CN) track for a portion of the last 40 miles into Ottawa.

VIA recently built a station in Fellowfield, an Ottawa suburb that has proved very popular. We loose about half our passenger here then its only about 15 minutes into the main Ottawa Station arriving at 23:15, 5 minutes early. An enjoyable trip: everything worked, friendly staff and good service!

The Ottawa Station is located on the Transit “Busway” A system of dedicated roads throughout the city. The stops are not just a sign post on the corner but full “stations” similar to what you would find on an LRT system. I hop a bus to St. Laurent one stop away and I’m in my hotel room in less that 20 minutes from the train stopping.

The next day I sampled a bit more of the Ottawa Transit System. This time: the “O-Train”.

http://www.octranspo.com/train_menue.htm

It’s a Bombardier 3-car Diesel “Talent” train running on 5 miles of CPR track between Greenboro and Bayview.every 15 minutes. It’s similar to a Light-Rail system but trains operate according to “Mainline“ rules. There’s even a crossing at grade with the line VIA uses into the Ottawa Station and a section of tunnel under Dows Lake.
Last edited by NS VIA FAN on Sat Jul 30, 2005 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#140578  by drewh

Sounds wonderful. If only we had such service along the NorthEast corridor. Metroliner first class is disgusting now. When Acela returns, I hope the service goes back to what it was.

#140636  by David Benton

Great report thanks . i have fond memories of a visit to Ottawa , if i rember coreectly i stayed in a youth hostel that used to be a jial . that was nearly 20 years ago though .

#141347  by NS VIA FAN

David Benton wrote:Great report thanks . i have fond memories of a visit to Ottawa , if i rember coreectly i stayed in a youth hostel that used to be a jial . that was nearly 20 years ago though .
Thanks for the comments!

Here's a link that might be of interest :-)

http://tinyurl.com/hwij

Never stayed there (nor any other!)

#144358  by updrumcorpsguy

I recently took the train from Toronto to Montreal, and while the food and beverage was excellent, and the service great, the whole concept of being stuck in your seat didn't sit well with me. I'd much rather have less food and the option of getting up and going to a lounge car. It was way too "airline" (albeit first class on a good airline) to me.

#146974  by NS VIA FAN

updrumcorpsguy wrote:........ I'd much rather have less food and the option of getting up and going to a lounge car. It was way too "airline" (albeit first class on a good airline) to me.
And you can go to the lounge car! See:

http://viarail.ca/classes/en_serv_glenfraser.html

"Glenfraser" will be in service between Toronto and Montreal until the end of July then on several trains between Toronto and Niagara Falls in August. Glenfraser go back on the Toronto-Montreal service in the fall.

The Renaissance trains between Montreal and Quebec City also have lounge space in the Service Car for the use of VIA-1 Passengers.

#147433  by drewh

It was way too "airline"
Acela 1st class and Metroliner 1st class has no lounge car.

#160044  by Silverliner II

drewh wrote:
It was way too "airline"
Acela 1st class and Metroliner 1st class has no lounge car.
But on both, you can still get up and wander back to the lounge (dinette) car if you prefer.

And how about that, my (at this time) 400th post is in the VIA forum....I figured I'd be in the Amtrak forum instead, LOL!!!

#160872  by drewh

On Acela its not so easy to walk back to the rest of the train or return back to 1st class. The attendants don't like you doing it and make it known. The doors are also locked until they release them.