Railroad Forums 

• Spain subway crash—30 killed

• Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of Canada and the United States.
Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of Canada and the United States.

Moderators: Komachi, David Benton

#264822  by StevieC48

CNN
MADRID, Spain (CNN) -- At least 30 people have been killed in a subway train derailment in the eastern Spanish city of Valencia, CNN's partner channel CNN+ reported on Monday.

Emergency service officials told Reuters they did not know what caused the metro train to run off the tracks and possibly overturn.

CNN+ also reported that 12 people were seriously injured in the crash.

#264876  by bellstbarn

Is this a light-rail subway with narrow gauge? High platform or low? One article said the route opened in 1998, and the article used the initials FGV. Decades ago, there was a narrow gauge FGV, I believe, going out through orange groves, or I could be confused about nomenclature.

#264885  by bellstbarn

Link to metrovalencia map:
http://www.metrovalencia.com/metroval/h ... e/home.asp
Click on the word Info below the paragraph.

A news article explained that the Route 1 train crashed having left Jesus station in the direction of Torrent. As in Paris and Madrid, routes are designated by the terminal. This would appear to be traveling southwest, possibly a short-turn at Torrent. I wonder whether there was any speed control. I have not yet answered my own questions about gauge and platform height.

Local news link:
http://www.lasprovincias.es/valencia/edicion/

#265106  by David Benton

thanks for the reports .
Death toll now up to 41 . appears a faulty wheel and excess speed to blame . Terrorist attack ruled out as a possible cause .

#265741  by george matthews

David Benton wrote:thanks for the reports .
Death toll now up to 41 . appears a faulty wheel and excess speed to blame . Terrorist attack ruled out as a possible cause .
The Spanish authorities now say that speed is the only factor. The driver was killed so it may never be possible to know why he was speeding.