Railroad Forums 

• The Swanage Railway

• Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of Canada and the United States.
Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of Canada and the United States.

Moderators: Komachi, David Benton

#1415135  by george matthews

philipmartin wrote:Several hours of British steam.
https://www.britishpathe.tv/?gclid=CN2L ... zLk2wgJdw9" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I often visit Swanage as it's a seaside resort not far from where I live - two hours on the bus. The railway there seems a good attraction for the town. I have ridden it several times. It has not yet succeeded in its original intention to be a means for visiting the town as it still, 20 years after being rescued from abandonment, seldom has any trains from the mainline at Wareham. Most of the trains are powered by steam but it does have some diesel electric heritage railcars which are used for late evening trains in the Summer to carry campers from the town to rural sites. It is hoped that at last there may be services from Wareham later this year. Almost certainly they will be diesel railcars as Network Rail do not wish to allow regular steam on their tracks and it would not be easy to change ends on Network Rail's tracks without laying new track.

I think there are no trains in January, though there were a lot before Christmas, offering various Christmas foods, such as mince pies.
 #1415182  by george matthews

philipmartin wrote:Very interesting. Thank you, George.
I see there are a few weekend trains in January.

http://www.swanagerailway.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There are occasional special trains from the mainline, nearly always steam. There is room at Swanage station to accommodate a full length steam train. They sometimes originate in Waterloo.

I can remember the beginnings of this project in the 1970s. I was in the area for the first time, on leave from Africa. At that time the trains only went from Swanage station to Herston, and they had only a very strange sort of steam loco. I can not say what sort it was as I have very little interest in such things. (I think it was a saddle tank and I think the carriages were a type built in the 1950s that many independent railways got cheaply when discarded by BR). They ran passenger trains the short distance between the two stations. At that time much of the route was still without track, and train running was extended as new track was laid. I walked the entire length of the empty trackbed. Later as I visited the area annually the length of usable track increased and trains next went as far as Harmans Cross where there are some attractions. Next they terminated trains at Corfe Castle at a substantial original station. Then they extended to Norden whose main usefulness was a reasonable sized car and coach park so that people could park there before visiting Swanage itself.

The planned extension to Wareham this year will complete the facilities and make possible journeys from the main line without needing the connecting bus which is presently in use - at least at the High Season. Possibly more through trains will be possible, from further up the line, perhaps even from Bournemouth (where there has been a platform section at present unused which could be used for a Swanage train). These it must be assumed will be diesel as with trains to Wareham. The actual track to Wareham has been operable for some time. It was easier to rebuild the track than to negotiate with BR and now with Network Rail. Probably the key feature that has made connecting trains possible has been the closure of the oil terminal so that Swanage trains will no longer conflict with oil tank trains. (The oil now travels by a pipeline and trains are no longer needed.) Swanage railway has taken over the former oil company's track.
Last edited by george matthews on Wed Jan 04, 2017 5:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
 #1415261  by philipmartin

That a super advertisement you put the the link to, George. "Learn to drive a loco!" What a good idea. I'm sure any railfan would go for that. £195.00.
I like the artwork at the top of the ad.
Thank you for the additional information about the railway, George.
 #1415305  by johnthefireman

philipmartin wrote:"Learn to drive a loco!" What a good idea. I'm sure any railfan would go for that. £195.00.
There was an article on these "driver experience" initiatives in The Railway Magazine recently. Dozens of heritage railways in UK provide them. There are different packages to suit all tastes, ranging from very cheap to several hundred pounds, from one hour to two days, with some including a parallel programme for partners and families. If I recall correctly steam is more popular with the older generation while diesel is the choice of the younger generation - in both cases, that's what they remember from their younger days. It's not only railfans who sign up for this - for many it's just an unusual leisure experience, often given by a partner, just as someone might do a one-off parachute jump or something.
 #1415313  by george matthews

johnthefireman wrote:
philipmartin wrote:"Learn to drive a loco!" What a good idea. I'm sure any railfan would go for that. £195.00.
There was an article on these "driver experience" initiatives in The Railway Magazine recently. Dozens of heritage railways in UK provide them. There are different packages to suit all tastes, ranging from very cheap to several hundred pounds, from one hour to two days, with some including a parallel programme for partners and families. If I recall correctly steam is more popular with the older generation while diesel is the choice of the younger generation - in both cases, that's what they remember from their younger days. It's not only railfans who sign up for this - for many it's just an unusual leisure experience, often given by a partner, just as someone might do a one-off parachute jump or something.
My impression is that Swanage is well organised with all those things. Its technical operation seems to be well organised and its financial situation looks good too. Its fares strike me as high but plenty of people are willing to pay. And its diesel fares, for the services which enable campers to return to their tents late at night, are really cheap - that is a useful service for people.
Last edited by george matthews on Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #1415314  by philipmartin

johnthefireman wrote: in both cases, that's what they remember from their younger days.
My aunt and uncle had a sailboat (gaff rigged,) and a motor boat. Their grandchildren only used the motor boat, which is impossible for me to understand. That sailboat was all that I was interested in. In later years, my aunt called it "the Wallflower."

Civilians being taught how to operate locomotives is obviously a new concept for me. I don't believe the practice exists in the "new world" or at least my part of it. Insurance costs might be a factor.
Cheers!
 #1415316  by johnthefireman

philipmartin wrote:Civilians being taught how to operate locomotives is obviously a new concept for me. I don't believe the practice exists in the "new world" or at least my part of it.
I think it should be made clear that they are not really taught how to operate a locomotive alone. There is always a qualified crew member with them who is really in control even if the punters are actually the ones holding the controls.
philipmartin wrote:Insurance costs might be a factor.
I recall pitching up at a well known US steam railroad a few years back and asking at the ticket office whether I could have a look at the workshop, as I was a steam fireman. He told me no, because a year or so earlier some punter had stubbed his toe and had sued them, so now the insurance wouldn't allow it. But then he looked around, made sure no-one was listening and told me to go and talk to the fireman on the loco. This I duly did. He also looked around to make sure nobody was listening, then he told me to hang around at the end of the day after everyone had gone. I then got a ride into the workshop on the footplate and the full guided tour of the facilities. The steam fraternity at work!
 #1415468  by philipmartin

The midnight train ride. Or how about "The Secret Train Ride" for a movie title. Guaranteed to be popular with enthusiasts.
Things were freer and easier in the old days.
 #1415576  by george matthews

philipmartin wrote:The midnight train ride. Or how about "The Secret Train Ride" for a movie title. Guaranteed to be popular with enthusiasts.
Things were freer and easier in the old days.
All the steam railways offer this "service". It's seen as a source of income - and should be at the prices they demand.