Railroad Forums 

• 2009 Excursions with "New" Pullman Green Coaches

• All about the Arcade & Attica Railroad
All about the Arcade & Attica Railroad

Moderator: Benjamin Maggi

#673562  by BSOR Patarak

The 2009 season begins this weekend. The coaches have all been painted in the new green scheme. Lettering and trim are in the works. The gondola will be receiving a roof and some seating and will not be ready for this weekend.

Also, a new feature this year is that all school trip days are now opened up to the public at a reduced fare. Perhaps a week day run fits your schedule better. Check out their website http://www.arcadeandatticarr.com/events.php3 for the dates trips are scheduled!

See you all sometime this summer!
 #675066  by Otto Vondrak

BSOR Patarak wrote:The 2009 season begins this weekend. The coaches have all been painted in the new green scheme. Lettering and trim are in the works.
Looking forward to seeing pics of the "new" train!

-otto-
 #675368  by Mountcastle

I was happy to be able to ride the train last weekend, Sunday, and I have to confess, I really like the green coaches very much. So much so, in fact, that I hope they remain green, permanently. I withdraw my earlier prayer for an eventual return to the orange and black.

For those of you who have yet to see the train in her new old colors, each coach has its number beautifully emblazoned in gold in the center of the car, beneath the windows. The 'ARCADE & ATTICA' has yet to appear above the windows, but an employee of the railroad explained to me that they simply haven't gotten around to that project yet.

No. 18 looks somehow better than I remember it looking last year. It's clean and shiny and looks brand new. The static displays in the parking lot have brand new access stairs worthy of the nicest backyard deck, and they look wonderful. They also make accessing the displays so much easier.

The depot looks a little more spruced-up than I recall it. I could swear there's a new little nook that wasn't there before. Also, the flow of traffic is now through the gift shop, which is a very intelligent idea.

No. 14 is still out of the garage, looking romantically pitiful. An employee named Patrick (not Connors) assured me that if I had an extra $2,000,000.00 on me, they could have it up and running for me. I likewise assured him that if I won the lottery, we'd have a deal.

Most interestingly, perhaps, is the gondola. I was disappointed not to find it on the train as, of course, riding in the gondola is more than half the fun. It wasn't there, however, because it's being refitted with a roof and seating. Apparently, the insurance company got on the A&A's case about it. Once the gondola is finished, the A&A will sell reduced fare tickets for passengers wishing to ride in that less comfortable (but much more interesting) car.

Disappointingly, a passenger can no longer walk from coach-to-coach. You must now remain in your seat throughout the journey. Again, the insurance company's demands, not the railroad's wishes. Buggering insurance companies.

The disturbing panhandler still rides the train, to my dismay, putting his upside-down tambourine in your face. I fail to see the charm of it, I'm afraid. I can get that on the subway in Buffalo. And that accursed accordian...I nearly offered him a 20 to stop playing it.

A note to whomever reads the historical notes over the public address system during the trip: save your breath. Nobody can understand a word you're saying (especially with that damn accordian playing). You sound like the teacher from the Peanuts.

The brochure: 1000 times nicer than the last one! But the text is riddled with stylistic disappointments and gramatical errors. Even so...1000 times better than the last one! Great images!

The hotdogs at Curriers are still the best anywhere and the staff and crew are still friendly, cheerful and pleased as punch to answer your inane questions for the 1000th time.

Finally, Patrick explained to me that the Arcade & Attica, far from stopping at green coaches, is planning to go all-out '1920s' in appearance and atmosphere! And I think that's just about the best news I've heard about the A&A in a long time; I hope they fully commit to that idea because it's a spectacular idea. One suggestion: lose the Country & Western music in the depot and replace it with period music, to wit: jazz. Ragtime, Dixieland, Al Jolson, Louis Armstrong, Billie Holliday, &c, &c, &c. Sound has as much to do with creating an atmosphere as visuals do.

On the whole, I find myself more and more impressed with the changes and improvements every time I visit the railroad. It really does appear that somebody over there is doing alot of things right, and I commend the Joint Chiefs of Staff at the Orange-agon for all the great work. Even the Orange-agon, itself, is starting to look nicer. It appears they're in the middle of giving it a fresh new coat of orange.

In short: I loved it, had a great time, and I can't wait to return in June to see the 'visiting' steam engine from Dunkirk!
 #675504  by thebigham

That's awful about not getting up to walk around. That was the best part of the A&A ride.

I rode the EBT once I hated having to stay in my seat.
 #675678  by Otto Vondrak

Mountcastle wrote:For those of you who have yet to see the train in her new old colors, each coach has its number beautifully emblazoned in gold in the center of the car, beneath the windows. The 'ARCADE & ATTICA' has yet to appear above the windows, but an employee of the railroad explained to me that they simply haven't gotten around to that project yet... Finally, Patrick explained to me that the Arcade & Attica, far from stopping at green coaches, is planning to go all-out '1920s' in appearance and atmosphere!
I hope the COTS stencils stay off the sides of the coaches. Looking forward to the lettering project to be complete. Also looking forward to seeing the rest of the 1920's-style renovations.

-otto-
 #676554  by Benjamin Maggi

I wonder if selling hotdogs at 1920's prices (like, 2 or 3 cents) is in the works? Probably not... but then again, I am not sure I would want to know what type of meat was in a 2 cent hotdog!
 #676563  by jgallaway81

At two cents a dog, the rr couldn't buy the rolls.
 #676874  by steamfan6325

Looking forward to seeing pics of the "new" train!

-otto-[/quote]

Took a couple quick shots at Curriers today.
 #676940  by ctclark1

I've said it before and I'll say it again - LOVE the green coaches... They look less... circus-y... Though maybe that was the lettering used before too...
 #676995  by tomjohn

ctclark1 wrote:I've said it before and I'll say it again - LOVE the green coaches... They look less... circusy... Though maybe that was the lettering used before too...
I too agree, I like the color on the passenger cars. I see that the Arcade & Attica RR has finally matured from the circusy /childish stage in their existence! Welcome to adulthood Arcade and ATTICA RR ...

Tom
 #677077  by thebigham

^I disagree.

Green is boring! It blends in with nature.

Bring back the orange and black.
 #677712  by Benjamin Maggi

You cannot please everybody. However, when modeling the train we can paint our coaches green on one side and orange on the other, and have them facing out on the side we want to model. Using a "wye" track would destroy the effect though.
 #677742  by jgallaway81

The Arcade & Attica has been orange and black for forty-five years. I think that qualifies as being historically accurate to leave it as such by now.

As for re-lettering 18 to Boyne City, the same thing applies, 18 has been lettered for the Arcade & Attica for forty-seven years... more time than it belonged to everyone else combined.

How about recognizing the history and heritage that the A&A has made, rather then the history others made?

If you want it lableled BCRR, it should be done only temporary and short term. UP used large magnetic signs to cover the "UNION PACIFIC" on the tender of the challenger when they used it for the Clinchfield special excursion.
 #677888  by Otto Vondrak

The Pullman green coaches look great, and will look great with completed lettering, too. I'm excited that the ARA is trying to capitalize on providing a historically-accurate experience and trying to create an authentic 1920's atmosphere. The orange and black had a great, long run. Now we get to enjoy the ARA in a whole new way... onward!
 #677936  by tomjohn

Otto Vondrak wrote:The Pullman green coaches look great, and will look great with completed lettering, too. I'm excited that the ARA is trying to capitalize on providing a historically-accurate experience and trying to create an authentic 1920's atmosphere. The orange and black had a great, long run. Now we get to enjoy the ARA in a whole new way... onward!
my dad and I agree whole heartedly!

Tom