Railroad Forums 

• STEAM RETURNS MAY 24TH!!!

• All about the Arcade & Attica Railroad
All about the Arcade & Attica Railroad

Moderator: Benjamin Maggi

#528961  by Benjamin Maggi

I didn't see it elsewhere on the forum, and it was posted on the Railroad's official website, so I thought I would mention it here.

MAY 24th, Memorial Day Weekend, Steam Returns!

Assuming work lets me (and it better) I will be down all weekend taking pictures and riding the train. Hope to see some of you there. Should be great... even if the weather doesn't cooperate.

#536185  by Benjamin Maggi

One week to go! :-D

#536317  by admiralwolf

I'll be there at about 9am. Hopefully I can get on the first run, but even if not I am photographing this.

#536709  by Challenger3985

I'd love to make it out myself for this event!

#538280  by Benjamin Maggi

Well, I am not sure if I will be able to check the forum when I go home, as I am staying with my wife's family and the internet situation out there is kinda sketchy. However, if you guys see me (I will most likely have on my green Adirondack Live Steamers hat) you are more than welcome to come introduce yourself to me. Of course, if it is pouring rain tomorrow, then everyone stupid enough to be riding in the gondola will probably be us forum members anyways! :-D

#538296  by reinhardtjh

I'd love to be there and meet some of you folks. However, I'll be on call for work (Oracle DBA on contract to GE) through the 29th.

Hope everyone has a great time and get plenty of pics/video for us "shut-ins"

#538309  by bwparker1

Youtube People, Youtube!

BWP

#538364  by admiralwolf

Actually, the forecast said sunny and mid 60s, but anyway, I'll be taping and filming. I will post videos up as soon as I offload them (with my laptop there, I might even do it while ON the train) :-D

#538620  by reinhardtjh

Thanks Howie! Looks like a great day.

#538672  by admiralwolf

I'll have some video footage from the noon trip up on Wednesday (sorry I can't do it sooner, I won't have a chance to do the capture from the camera til Tuesday, and I want to edit it cleanly). Watch for a link soon.

#538868  by Benjamin Maggi

Here is what you guys missed this weekend:

Me and the Engine

#18 Working Hard

Looks like it could be 1940 all over again.

By the end, I was filthy! It was great.

The red from the boxcars bounced off the tender. It looked pretty weird.

EVERYONE had a great time, the train looked awesome, the weather was perfect, and I got to talk to a bunch of forum members. I recommend this trip to anyone.

Rest of my pictures: http://rides.webshots.com/album/563592613rUlUjR

#538880  by leftyfretguy

Hey you caught me in that last shot! I am video taping with one hand and holding my son with the other. What a great day! I will post some pictures sooner than later - I hope...
Matt

#538966  by admiralwolf

Incidentally, was it just my imagination of was there something funky about the way 18 was struggling getting us out of Curriers on the return from the 12:00 trip?

Seemed like she was not getting any traction at first (maybe it was just me, but I was curious).

#539008  by jgallaway81

Guys, remember, there is a new guy at the throttle...

http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?news ... 2467&rfi=8

With Manly gone, a new engineer will need to get some experience at the throttle before becoming as proficient as Mr. Hakes was.

Additionally... No 18 has just recieved class repairs, her handling characterisitcs will differ from what she was like before. The Superintendant reported that 18's cylinder and piston-valve covers had both been removed during the rebuild process. Any number of factors could effect how she would react to even the most minute changes in throttle and reverser positions.

Hope everyone enjoyed this glorious event. I certainly envy those able to attend.