Railroad Forums 

• Ye Olde Auto-Train

• General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.
General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.

Moderators: mtuandrew, gprimr1

#1537905  by bdawe

In browsing through the British Columbia Archives for pictures of old trains, I stumbled upon this image

It's a Pacific Great Eastern gascar no. 102 hauling a flat car of three sedans near Lillooet some time in the 1940s.

It's noted on this article http://www.trainweb.org/oldtimetrains/p ... /three.htm that this service was provided up to 1961 between Lillooet and Shalalth due to the absence of road. There's a road today, but having driven from Seton Portage to Shalalth it's rough road and certainly not all-season, and to this day despite the general end of passenger rail service on the old PGE, the Province, CN, and the local First Nation continue to operate a small daily doodlebug to serve the communities between Shalalth and Lillooet (which is an excellent joyride)

The above article also provides some details on No. 102, which is a Hall-Scott 64 foot 8 cyl. 200 HP gas-mechanical, built 1913

So my broader question is regarding what people know about put-your-car-on-the-train automobile transport services from back in the day
 #1537958  by Gilbert B Norman

During August 1960, on the "family trip to Europe", I rode through the St. Gothard Tunnel as it then existed on a flatcar. As I recall, "whole lot of shaking going on" - even in a brand new Mercedes Benz.

I have shuddered at times on my twenty five Auto-Train "voyages" thinking about "my buggy back there".