Railroad Forums 

• New GO Transit Paint Scheme

• General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.
General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.

Moderators: mtuandrew, gprimr1

#1201470  by Ken V

Toronto's GO Transit has unveiled a new paint scheme which will eventually be used for all locomotives and bi-level coaches as well as all its buses. The new scheme uses a two-tone mix of forest/apple green replacing the old medium green colour. A photo of the first locomotive and coach, taken at GO's Willowbrook facility, can be seen at http://www.railpictures.ca/?attachment_id=10452" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and photos of one of the buses at http://www.flickr.com/photos/gviloria/9180172874/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. There is also a short article about the change in the Toronto Star.
 #1201480  by MattW

My personal opinion, is ICK! The different top and bottom colors kind of clash actually, and the colors can best be described as puke green. The darker green was bold, yet subtle, and made a statement, and in my opinion, represented what a lot of people think about Canada: the lush, green forests.
 #1202018  by NH2060

I quite like it. Especially the upward and downward sloping on the MP40. The Bilevels maybe not as much but still looks quite good. A nice balance of old and new 😀
 #1202255  by 25Hz

I like it, very snappy!!

The old scheme was very utilitarian in my opinion, with the "industrial green".

Plus it gives them an excuse to repaint the entire fleet in one "go". ;)
 #1202650  by 25Hz

You know what i took a second look and noticed the green fills the while side vs a white frame, and it goes up over to the roof too. In that photo in first post you can see an old scheme coach to the right.......
 #1202697  by MEC407

The new scheme looks sort of retro to me. My first impression upon seeing it was "Hello 1977!"
 #1202976  by SST

I like the style of the new color scheme. Maybe the color looks better in the bright sunshine. It will be interesting to see one first hand.
 #1203285  by Tadman

In the apparent "make work" department, GO Transit has unveiled their new paint scheme.

First, recall if you will, the MP36 had a new scheme with same colors that GO has had for decades. I like it, and it was easy because it still matches the massive fleet of bilevels. See pic below for F59 and MP36 next to each other:
http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.p ... 161&nseq=8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Now, it would appear the management has changed their minds and decided to repaint the recently delivered (and certainly not in need of paint) fleet to this:
http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.p ... 049&nseq=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It's two new shades of green. Neither match the monster fleet of bilevels, so they'll have to paint that fleet, too, or have three shades of green. Further, they're going from a scheme that accentuates the MP's curves (quasi-streamlining if you will) to the most mundane stripe job that flares to a white opening at the front (making it easy for grime and bugs to stand out).

Am I the only one stumped here? I'm not Canadian, but I hear they're having some serious budget issues.

Moderator's Note: merged into existing thread, 7/29/2013
 #1203387  by TomNelligan

Tadman wrote:Am I the only one stumped here? I'm not Canadian, but I hear they're having some serious budget issues.
My thought exactly. Is this a Government of Ontario make-work project for unemployed painters? Otherwise, why would they want to spend a pile of money to repaint a fleet that is hardly old and tattered and in need of repainting for maintenance reasons?

And I'm not a graphic artist or designer, but who decided that an olive green sort of theme is better than the current bright green and white that to me has always suggested the green spaces of the Ontario forests?
 #1203395  by dowlingm

Metrolinx blew a lot more cash than that on ordering Tier 4 engines for barely used MP40s just to satisfy a vocal group in the Weston Corridor.