Railroad Forums 

• Steam locomotive licensing and certification

• Discussion of steam locomotives from all manufacturers and railroads
Discussion of steam locomotives from all manufacturers and railroads

Moderators: Typewriters, slide rules

#1309369  by CLamb

In the United States which government agencies are responsible for licensing, testing, and certification of steam locomotives and operators. Are there overlapping rules between the states and the Feds?
 #1309706  by Pat Fahey

Cab form # 1
Cab form # 1
cabforms1.jpg (49.03 KiB) Viewed 6004 times
Cab form # 1 back
Cab form # 1 back
cabforms2.jpg (24.02 KiB) Viewed 6004 times
Hi Clamb
I hope I can answer your question , in my 1930 locomotive cyclopedia in accordance with an act of Congress on Feb 17th 1911 , and amended on March 4, 1915 . The monthly locomotive inspection and reports , and the Annual locomotive inspection repair reports fell under the ICC. dealing with form # 1 & form # 3 which were located in the cab of the locomotive on the fireman's side .
Today the same reports fall under the Department of Transportation , Federal Railroad Administration , 49 CFR Part 230 , inspection and Maintenance Standards for Steam Locomotives Effective January 18th 2000.
As for the licensing and certification both these forms must be present in the cab . (e)
Retirement where no service day reports filed.
Where the steam locomotive owner
and/or operator does not file the required service day report for a steam locomotive, that
steam locomotive may be considered retired by FRA. The steam locomotive owner
and/or operator must complete all 1472 service day inspection items to return a retired
steam locomotive to service.
§ 230.19 -- Posting of FRA Form No. 1 and FRA Form No. 3.
(a)
FRA Form No. 1.
The steam locomotive owner and/or operator shall place a copy
of the 31 and 92 service day inspection report (FRA Form No. 1), properly filled out,
under transparent cover in a conspicuous place in the cab of the steam locomotive before
the inspected boiler is put into service. This FRA Form No. 1 will not be required for the
first 31 service days following an annual inspection and the posting of an FRA Form No.
3. (See appendix B of this part.)
(b)
FRA Form No. 3.
In addition to the FRA Form No. 1, the steam locomotive owner
and/or operator shall also maintain in the cab a current copy of FRA Form No. 3 in the
manner described in paragraph (a) of this section. (See Appendix C of this part.)
I do hope I was of some help in answering your question , Pat
Attachments:
Current FRA locomotive and inspection report
(626.96 KiB) Downloaded 158 times