• CSX Charlotte Runner

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by NS59

I'm still trying to figure out where they leave the inbound trains so I can at least ball park when they will run. Another list said Maple Ave on main four, but I could only find what looked to be a running track on Maple. Where would be a good starting point to figure out if they will be running on a given day?

by roadster

The inbound coal train will be parked on "4" Main west of CP 373 on the north side of the mains. The best and quickest way to observe if a train is there is to drive down West Ave. past the Tops store down to where the old General Railway Signal building is (currently used by the city of Rochester) the train will be parked along the north side of the mains. Or driving west on Buffalo rd. by the Roch South. overpass, You should be able to see the coal hoppers siiting under the bridge. As I have said before, RG&E Russell usually does a 2-3 week shutdown in July for maintainance, and then starts getting more shipments after. I expect sometime this week. If I see, or hear something, I'll post asap.

by roadster

Just an FYI for the Charlotte Runner watchers. TM at Rochester has
abolished B791 and B794. B796 now handles Kodak traffic 3 xs a week and Lyons/Jordan traffic 2 xs a week. B790 handles Batavia, Macedon, Russell traffic as needs require. Extras called as needed to handle any left over work. This leaves Rochester with only 4 regular jobs, 2 yard jobs and 2 locals. Glad I left when I did.

by NS59

What's the call time on the B790? will this change the approx times to Russell & back?

Thanks

by roadster

B790 goes onduty at 6:45am mon-fri. Problem is where are they going on a particular day? This job is now responsible for Batavia, Macedon, Wright-Wisner (West Shore business) and Russel. In the past Macedon was done on Monday and Wednesdays, Batavia, Tuesdays and Thursdays. The work loaud at these places has been drasticlly reduced over the past 3 years and may only see switching one day a week. But which day I don't know. And the Rochester TM plans to run local extra jobs as needed to cover the work. So it may be difficult to predict when a train is headed to Russel.

by railfan87

I know your intention was probably to catch the train going to Russell....but I have some information that may help. Last week I caught the train in Charlotte leaving to go back to Rochester on both Monday and Tuesday. The time was approximatley 4:45 pm both days.

by nessman

railfan87 wrote:I know your intention was probably to catch the train going to Russell....but I have some information that may help. Last week I caught the train in Charlotte leaving to go back to Rochester on both Monday and Tuesday. The time was approximatley 4:45 pm both days.
Thing with unit coal trains is that they move when and where needed. There isn't a set schedule. Best I can gather is the Russell trains, loads or empties move when they're needed. It also depends on the time of the year when there's more demand for electricity which dictates the number of loads coming in and out of the plant.

by conrail71

Hey, the train was in Russell today!!!
I've got some shots on my blog spot.

http://conrail71.blogspot.com/

They finished up about 5pm then took the empties back to the yard.
Mike

by roadster

Effective 8/23/07 the Y201 has been abolished. this now leaves 3 jobs at Rochester. CSX website under careers, now has conductor openings listed for Rochester NY. Go figure.

by umtrr-author

Mike, thanks for some new pics on the Runner.

When I lived in the apartment complex near the Runner I saw all kinds of power bringing loads up and empties back; everything from CR switchers to CR SD80MACs to foreign power from the UP and its predecessors. How about a Southern Pacific tunnel motor in speed lettering?

The most amazing power I saw at Ling Road was a Santa Fe FP45! And of course, I did not have the camera.

by conrail71

I saw an Amtrak F40 PH once with a pair of Conrail GP-38-2's it was back in 94 or 95. It was late at night and we were on our way back from an EMS call at Greenleaf Meadows. The strobes gave it away, after the truck was in service I went up to check it out.

Mike

by clearblock

roadster wrote:Effective 8/23/07 the Y201 has been abolished. this now leaves 3 jobs at Rochester. CSX website under careers, now has conductor openings listed for Rochester NY. Go figure.
I heard that Y201 was replaced by a B766 local travelling switcher job so it is back to 4 jobs (for now).

by roadster

Yes, I just checked and there is now a B766 back on the board.

by NS59

I'm thinking about going after the coal train on Monday, could anyone provide me with info on whether or not there is a coal train in position at CP373 for delivery?

Thanks,

Dave

by roadster

Yes, there is a coal train curently sitting on 4 Main west of CP 373.