Railroad Forums 

• CSX Charlotte Runner

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#446196  by conrail71

HEY !!!! The train is in Charlotte RIGHT NOW !!!! I'd go and check it out but the baby is sleepin'.
Mike
 #446270  by James Steier

Conrail71:

I got some pics (though not the best, with a cellphone) of that train at the Ling Rd. Xng. Wow, that's some really bad track section at the Xng ! Lookin' like they are going to do some tie replacement where the track sinks into the ground on the North side of the Xng., and probably the south too. They already have a stack of 40 new ties there.

Enjoy! :-D

[URL=http://good-times.webshots.com/alb ... .jpg[/img][/url]
Last edited by James Steier on Tue Sep 18, 2007 7:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

#446302  by Mike Walsh

conrail71 wrote:HEY !!!! The train is in Charlotte RIGHT NOW !!!! I'd go and check it out but the baby is sleepin'.
Mike
Louder, Mike. I can't hear you.

#446334  by NS59

Hey roadster... thanks for the heads up. I chased the train from West Ave all the way to Russell. I missed a good shot at Maple Ave of the train coming around the "Buffalo Wye" (??) as the no parking & trespassing signs made me a little apprehensive. Caught the train going by the station in Charlotte. I got a few good photos & some video. I caught it again near the country club doing a little switching.

I waited around until 1530 and figured it was alost cause trying to get shots of the return trip in Rochester, even though I have the feeling the return trip would have some better photo ops in Charlotte.

#446598  by conrail71

There are 2 Big 6 axle GE's workin' Charlotte right now!!! We just chased them down Lake Ave. I posted the pics on my Blog.

Mike

#446809  by TB Diamond

What type of power does the Russel plant utilize at present? Photographed a yellow GE 45T unit there back in the mid-1980s when CR was delivering coal.

#446886  by conrail71

Now they have a larger, I think 65 ton, GE unit that is red and black with a white stripe. It's a neat looking engine.
Mike

#446945  by dutchboy

I think the engine they use now is the one that came from BEBE Station when that closed. I remember when BEBE closed, they brought the engine back and it was sitting at Russell Station.

#446951  by boblenon

Dutchboy - The engine that was at BEBE - GE 45 tonner 1941 - is at the Rochester & Genesee Valley RR Museum in Industry, NY -

http://rgvrrm.org/about/railroad/rge1941/index.htm

It is currently undergoing restoration as there was some issues with one of the two prime movers - It should be running next season.

My understanding is that Russel has two GE units - another 45 tonner and a second larger one - At one time they were both outside on Google Earth imagery ... both painted black(?) & red. I belive the red was on the cab.

#446963  by Mike Roque

conrail71 wrote:Now they have a larger, I think 65 ton, GE unit that is red and black with a white stripe. It's a neat looking engine.
Mike
I believe that's an ex-Berkshire Scenic 110-ton locomotive. Here's a shot I took of it back in 2005:

Here's a photo of it on the Berkshire Scenic.

#446976  by roadster

last time I was in Russel, (2004). They had a second switcher stored on the "garbage tracks" to the west of the plant. It was yellow with Markings of "RG&E BeBe Station". It was not the same one as #1941. It was donated in 1991, but I thought BeBe was still operating till near 1997? This must have been a second BeBe switcher? It was used for a while in 2003 when the regular switcher (Red&Black) had engine troubles and was out of service for about 4 months.

#446978  by Mike Roque

roadster wrote:last time I was in Russel, (2004). They had a second switcher stored on the "garbage tracks" to the west of the plant. It was yellow with Markings of "RG&E BeBe Station". This must have been a second BeBe switcher? It was used for a while in 2003 when the regular switcher (Red&Black) had engine troubles and was out of service for about 4 months.
That's the other 45 tonner like 1941 that is now at R&GVRRM. It was painted yellow as of the last time I was there in 2005.

#447061  by conrail71

When the RGVRM's 1941 unit was retired from active RG&E service to the museum the BeeBee station was switched with the yellow 45t that is now stored at Russell. For a short time I beleive it was used at Russell until the larger unit arrived.
Mike

#447235  by TB Diamond

When I photographed the BeeBee Station GE 45T in October, 1987 at BeeBee it was painted green with yellow handrails and pilot. Is the unit still in this paint scheme?

P.S. Thanks, all for the information.