Railroad Forums 

• D&H RR Object

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1548725  by jurtz

I presume the D&HRR insignia means this was used on the Delaware & Hudson RR. It is a canister with a spout. Does anyone know what it was used for back in the day?

#1548731  by CPSmith

My first guess is a carnocker's can for journal oil. What do I get if I win ?!?!?
 #1548750  by Cosmo

Drinking water can for the caboose and or engine crew.
Pree-1900 version of an IGLOO cooler-jug.
 #1548754  by BR&P

CPSmith wrote:My first guess is a carnocker's can for journal oil. What do I get if I win ?!?!?
Don't worry about the prize, you don't get it. :P Journals were oiled with a long spout.
Oiling journals.jpg
Oiling journals.jpg (495.7 KiB) Viewed 1086 times
 #1548755  by NYCRRson

That is a "hip flask" that was used by the D&H operating crews during Prohibition and the Depression. They had extra baggy overalls to cover up just such an item. Filled with bathtub gin, just what was needed to pass a few hours while waiting for a "high ball" to get back to your home terminal.... :wink:

Kidding aside, it looks like an oil can. Too small to hold any meaningful amount of water. Maybe valve oil for superheated loco's ? Maybe just a different style of journal box oil can ? Clearly it's an oil can of some sort, maybe you could use it with an "add on" spout ?
 #1548769  by jurtz

Thanks for the replies. I’m thinkIng Cosmo may have it - a type of water canteen. I took a close look at the interior and it is clean - no evidence of any oil based product ever being in there. I can imagine this sitting on top of a coal stove heating up water for the conductors coffee. It does resemble an overgrown tea kettle.
 #1548772  by BR&P

Bear in mind there could be multiple uses for a given item. The railroad probably bought a couple hundred of them, and they could have been doled out to the track department, operating crews, mechanical and shop guys etc. My guess is a list of what was in them all over the years would be quite lengthy.