Railroad Forums 

• "The Power to Move Us" Exhibit at Kodak Gallery in Rochester

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1528312  by umtrr-author

In case you haven't seen this elsewhere: The Kodak Gallery on Ridge Road in Rochester (the Kodak Park site) has a free exhibition called "The Power to Move Us: Celebrating Railfans, Rail Photographers and our own Kodak Park Railroad History" through January 31. The gallery is open Monday to Saturday.

Web link:
https://www.kodak.com/us/en/consumer/ca ... /index.htm
 #1528388  by BR&P

scottychaos wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 12:33 pm Looks cool! I'll have to stop by next time i'm up that way.
I havent gone into B28 since I was laid off in 2012, will be nice to see it again!
thanks for the info..

Scot
And take a look at the pavement on the west side of the building. That's how the NYC got into Kodak in the early years. Up into the....1980's?...you could still see rail in there, probably long gone now.
 #1528453  by jr

And take a look at the pavement on the west side of the building. That's how the NYC got into Kodak in the early years. Up into the....1980's?...you could still see rail in there, probably long gone now.

There was still a stub of that line into the 1990s or early 2000s, to service the Building 31 power plant. The line curved up the side of Building 28, partway to Ridge Road. They also had a capstan car puller with a big rope, to move coal cars, and a guillotine type device for busting up frozen coal, to get it to flow out of the hopper cars. Lots of 19th Century railroading there, that lasted into the 21st Century (or nearly so).

JR
 #1528462  by BR&P

I have no idea on the timeframe, but THINK I recall sometimes seeing a tank car spotted just inside that gate.

Up until about 1960 to 1962 or so, it was still possible to access Kodak that way altho I don't recall ever seeing it done. About that time the parking lot was expanded and the tracks through the lot were either removed or covered over.
 #1530870  by Benjamin Maggi

I went to the exhibit over the weekend. Surprisingly, it was locked upon arrival even though it was supposed to run through the end of January. The friendly security guard opened it up for me and my father. It wasn't a large exhibit but the portions dedicated to the KPRR were pretty interesting. There were some "internal" shots that showed areas that non-employees never would have seen.

If you are planning on going I would certainly call first.

I won't put pictures I took on this thread, but they are available on my blog: https://dandhcoloniemain.blogspot.com/2 ... hibit.html