Railroad Forums 

• Map of Niagara Juntion Railroad?

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1248180  by Steampunk

I have been many places by foot along the railroad lines here in NF but they say that NJ operated 44 miles of Electric Railroads...OK maybe I dont see it because I have a untrained eye but I have yet to notice any Catanary or Poles with Wires Cut. Is there a schematic of Electric Track that NYC and then Conrail ran?
 #1248206  by Otto Vondrak

To the best of my knowledge, New York Central had nothing to do with the Niagara Junction Railway. It was jointly owned by the Erie and the Lehigh Valley, I thought.

I was curious and hunted for a map and could not find one. They must have counted every single inch of industrial siding in that 44 miles because all I see from this SPV Atlas is them running from the Niagara Falls yard down to the waterfront where the various chemical plants were.

When Conrail took over, they ran the electric until 1979. They sent the motors down to GCT to be used as terminal switchers. All were retired by Metro-North in 1998 and since cut up for scrap. WNYRHS owns the remaining survivor, which was not sent down to GCT.

-otto-
Attachments:
Niagara Falls Map ©SPV Atlas
Niagara Falls Map ©SPV Atlas
NiagaraFalls-map.jpg (135.87 KiB) Viewed 3522 times
 #1248232  by Matt Langworthy

As i understand the history of Niagara Junction RR, it was jointly owned by NYC/PC, Erie/EL and LV until CR took over in 1976. http://www.rr-roadtrip.com/NJRR1.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; indicates NYC/PC had 50% ownership of the line.
 #1248265  by Otto Vondrak

Matt Langworthy wrote:As i understand the history of Niagara Junction RR, it was jointly owned by NYC/PC, Erie/EL and LV until CR took over in 1976. http://www.rr-roadtrip.com/NJRR1.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; indicates NYC/PC had 50% ownership of the line.

Didn't know about the NYC connection. Makes sense, though. Assumed the Penn Central ownership was through its control of LV.

-otto-
 #1248409  by Steampunk

Sometime in the spring after the first snowmelt I will have to walk the ROW and see what I can find now that I have a SPV map in hand. I have been to the Jct of CSX and the NJ Railroad WYE in NF and have found nothing. I assume that deep in the desk of the Yardmasters Office @ the NF Amtrak Station is some old blueprints. I would assume that the LV Yard that CSX uses now would have had some electrified tracks. I know about the motors and they ended up at PATCO in NJ after there stint in GCT. Railfaning NF at night and late afternoon is not for the faint of heart. There has to be someone somewhere who is still alive who worked Conrail NF in the 1970s. This seems to be a Job for the Conrail Technical Soceity aka Conrail Historical Society. BTW there is a another Niagara Juntion in Depew NY off of Walden
 #1248703  by Otto Vondrak

Steampunk wrote: I know about the motors and they ended up at PATCO in NJ after there stint in GCT.
That would be news to me since Metro-North cut up all the NJ motors in 2004-2005.

-otto-
 #1248723  by BR&P

NJ #14 got around - it was the 5th unit in the consist of a WB Conrail freight one day. Not sure where it was coming back from.
 #1248746  by Steampunk

Otto Vondrak wrote:
Steampunk wrote: I know about the motors and they ended up at PATCO in NJ after there stint in GCT.
That would be news to me since Metro-North cut up all the NJ motors in 2004-2005.

-otto-
From what I remember I saw them on PATCO as line cars in the 1990s (I know PATCO is 3rd rail) by line cars i mean they were used in worktrains
 #1249438  by Otto Vondrak

Steampunk wrote:From what I remember I saw them on PATCO as line cars in the 1990s (I know PATCO is 3rd rail) by line cars i mean they were used in worktrains
I am 99.9% sure you are not talking about the ex-Niagara Junction E10-Bs that Metro-North cut up. I could be wrong. Pics or it didn't happen.

EDIT: Because my curiosity was piqued and you were so insistent that PATCO had these locomotives, I searched Google myself. Found out that PATCO did indeed get a couple of electric locomotives from NJ, but they were old prewar Baldwin-Westinghouse locomotives, NOT the General Electric E10-B's retired by CR and cut up by Metro-North.

http://donsdepot.donrossgroup.net/dr554.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

-otto-
 #1249439  by Otto Vondrak

Steampunk wrote:Thank You whats the location of the Moter? Last I heard it was in the B&P yard?
Google search is your friend:

http://www.trainweb.org/wnyrhs/nj15.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This is the sole survivor, to the best of my knowledge.

-otto-