Railroad Forums 

• Adirondack Scenic Railroad (ADIX) Discussion - 2014

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1284894  by Matt Langworthy

tree68 wrote:
Matt Langworthy wrote:Again, I'll warn the ARTA folks to be careful what they wish for.
Alas - I'll opine that getting everybody out of the woods is exactly what ARTA is looking for (Except for Scott, who wants that road really bad). Of course, they can't say so publicly, as they'd lose the support of the snowmobilers and all the other potential trail users.
Ooops.. I goofed. I was referring to the snowmobilers and ATVers, rather than the forever wild crowd (ARTA).

Also, great video Tree! Thanks for sharing.
 #1284937  by Noel Weaver

I enjoyed watching the photos and videos, hopefully they will be able to extend their rail operations before too many of us are no longer around to watch, enjoy and maybe even ride it. I rode the entire line in 1980 and I'll never, ever forget that one.
Noel Weaver
 #1285521  by tree68

Steamer - I'm tied up that weekend with family doings, but thanks for the invite.

In case no one noticed it in my video (shot with my phone, by the way), those black specs seen flying in front of the camera were blackflies...

One of my cohorts on the railroad shot video from the other side (she's visible in my video), but has a new phone and hasn't managed to get the video off it yet...

Thanks for the comments.
 #1289194  by Donko142

The F unit was on the front on the Utica train yesterday with 8 cars in tow, including both the railroads private cars, Silver Springs and # 99. I believe they will be running the same consist today.
 #1290122  by Donko142

The scenic railroads mechanical dept was more then doubled this summer including two emplyees from the Western Maryland, one in now the Adirondacks CMO. With the extra hands looks like lots getting done. Pics of Utica train from this week, note the coach with a new paint job as well as 1502. The pics shows utica train waiting to depart as the local (nyc 8223 in background) is pulling in to the station.

http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg20 ... d882e5.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg20 ... 3badfc.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1292646  by traingeek8223

So the railroad spends 25K on a turbocharger last year and now you are taking it back? Sounds about right.
 #1292708  by The Man

Yes, that turbo replaced the one THEY broke that we sent with the engine. Did you know they lost the core? The reasons behind the choice are not going to be posted as it's not appropriate but it's a heads up for those who may want to see it before it leaves. I will not get into details about who did what.
 #1292856  by lvrr325

One does wonder, though, how the hell you lose something as big as a turbocharger for a locomotive. Those don't exactly just get up and walk away. But it wouldn't be the first, or last thing that's dissapeared that wasn't supposed to up there.
 #1292969  by deandremouse

8223 leaving the property? didn't know that, I've heard about that turbocharger thing before

Saturday 9/13 was quite the trip, tad bit late (rain & wet rail, stalled a bit south of Remsen) & restless passengers but turned out to be a great trip

(Laid Up in Thendara)
 #1293170  by SteelRail

deandremouse wrote:
Saturday 9/13 was quite the trip, tad bit late (rain & wet rail, stalled a bit south of Remsen) & restless passengers but turned out to be a great trip
What happened on the return trip? Did the train go into emergency?
 #1293194  by deandremouse

SteelRail wrote:
deandremouse wrote:
What happened on the return trip? Did the train go into emergency?
Wheelslip (Again) going down grade as we were slowing down, and I believe it was north of where we stalled out the first time before Remsen. However that time it reset and we didn't have a huge issue