Railroad Forums 

• Adirondack Scenic Railroad (ADIX) Discussion - 2014

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1281799  by ffmike9

[quote][/quoteNoel Weaver wrote "First off the drainage has lots of problems, the washouts need to be corrected and the conditions that caused them need also to be corrected if possible]

Not sure when you were on the line last, but the washouts have all been corrected and the track is intact to Lake Placid. In fact there was an equipment move to Lake Placid in the last couple of weeks.
 #1281817  by UP4141

ffmike9 wrote:
[/quoteNoel Weaver wrote "First off the drainage has lots of problems, the washouts need to be corrected and the conditions that caused them need also to be corrected if possible]

Not sure when you were on the line last, but the washouts have all been corrected and the track is intact to Lake Placid. In fact there was an equipment move to Lake Placid in the last couple of weeks.

Good afternoon adix support groups and all others that want to see this irreplaceable asset not destroyed just to appease the financial and political aspiration of others and those others are from what I conclude are in the minority. I am a responsible snowmobiler that does want the tracks to stay intact. When there is enough snow this is clearly one of the most scenic rides imaginable. There still has to be snow on the ground weather the tracks are there or not. My personal belief is if the tracks go, eventually so do the use of snowmobiles on the old rail bed. I actually don't understand why the rail advocates dont reach out to the clubs that maintain those areas and get them on board to help maintain the rail line. I would be the first to sign on for the snowmobile registration fee to be increased to help cover the expense of maintaining the adix corridor. You take Big moose station for example, its a great stop for snowmobilers in the winter time, it more than likely will die off in the summer months if the rails go, and if that were to happen then we wont have that place to be available anymore in the winter. "Wake up", intelligent people of New York State and run these liberal, leftist, idiot out of town, New York State ranks no.2 in the United States in job loss over the last several years and a lot of it stems from the short sided ideology of these people. The equipment move to Lake Placid that just took place was a very encouraging read this morning.

Have a very safe and pleasant Sunday.
 #1281928  by Noel Weaver

Drainage is a big problem with lots of active railroads too. It doesn't necessarily render the line not able to be used but it is responsible for increased maintenance costs. Washouts can be caused by drainage problems as can excessive tie problems and ballast problems too. I never said the line could not be used because of drainage problems but it is pretty obvious to me from the photos (good ones too I might add) that drainage will have to be addressed sooner or later. If this line is saved, fixed up and restored to active use the people in the area in the long run will be a lot better off and someday they will most likely come on board and fully support this operation. Just look back to the 50's and 60's in the narrow gauge country in Colorado when the good people of Durango and Silverton could not care less about their historic narrow gauge railroad operated at the time by Rio Grande. Today if Durango were to lose the Durango and Silverton Narrow Gauge Railroad where would they be? I'll bet today the people of that part of Colorado are very glad the line was preserved and today it is a money maker all around. The same possibility exists between Utica and Lake Placid, I wonder how long before the people between Thendara and Lake Placid wake up to that FACT?
Noel Weaver
 #1282006  by tree68

It's been my contention that the rank and file snowmobilers stopped listening at "the rails will be gone." They are starting to wake up to the fact that if the tracks are lifted, their trail will be next to go (per conversations with state-level snowmobile association folks). The line runs through some designated wilderness areas. Anyone who doesn't think that the wilderness preservationists won't be campaigning for blocking all motorized vehicles in those areas is kidding themselves.

There are also areas in the ADKs where even bicycles are prohibited. I don't recall if that applies to areas the corridor passes through, but if it does, it gives lie to the "hiking and biking trail" story.

To find the true agenda of the "trail advocates" one need only find a copy of a book I believe Lee Keet (a major force in the "trail advocates") wrote in the mid-1990's in which he advocates for the line being removed and the corridor be made "forever wild."

I maintain that the "trail advocates" know full well that the preservationists (and others) will be out in full force pushing for exactly that. They say they want a trail, but they know full well it will never happen.

Let's face it - they're just a bunch of rich guys who want everyone out of "their" forest...
 #1282049  by traingeek8223

There are also areas in the ADKs where even bicycles are prohibited. I don't recall if that applies to areas the corridor passes through, but if it does, it gives lie to the "hiking and biking trail" story.
Bicycles are prohibited in the Lake Lila Primitive area which the railroad runs through, but this is on the section that the state has committed to keeping. Shame too because it would be a very easy and pleasant ride on the access road.
 #1282080  by Old Muley

Obviously, most everyone who posts here, and lurks here, has a passion for the ADK division. Myself included. I have fond memories of my grandfather taking the train in the late 50's and early 60's from Saranac Lake to GCT and back.

The ADK division is living history, an asset, and a potential economic fountain to the communities served by the line. It just requires investment, good management, and some fresh thinking. Severing the rails at Tupper is a set-up for failure. The line needs to remain intact.

The reopening of the UMP by the DOT is serious business. The possibility of loosing the rails between Tupper and Placid is quite real. ARTA is well organized and funded. They are totally convinced that their's is the good fight. They have brainwashed most of the local business community and populous.

Once the rails are removed, they will not be put back. Rail-banked, whatever the law reads, it will not happen. I read last year that the president of Metro North RR was quoted as saying "We would love to expand service north to Millerton on the Harlem Division, but the trail folks will fight this to the end." So much for rail-banking.

This is real, and NOW. This battle may end up being decided by judges. It is time to speak and act professionally here. No personal attacks. Get your facts straight when posting. Let's get organized and do whatever we can to help the ADSR to win this one. The Saratoga and North Creek won the fight to get to Tahawus, perhaps the ADSR can prevail.

Stepping down off of the soapbox now.
 #1282112  by Noel Weaver

The State of New York messed up real bad when they let the upper Harlem get torn up. That whole area is growing and some of it is growing at a rather high rate. It is a shame that they can't go to Millerton which would have been an ideal location for a passenger hub. I hope the state will use better judgment in the Adirondacks, maybe they will after all.
Noel Weaver
 #1282449  by tree68

Found my error - the book was not by Keet, but by Dick Beamish - possibly "Getting the Word Out in the Fight to Save the Earth," ca 1995.
 #1282650  by RussNelson

BTW, there will be a NEREX speeder run on the ADIX. Saturday we run from Old Forge to Remsen, hopefully going all the way to the Remsen (recreated) station. Sunday it's Old Forge to Big Moose to Lake Placid, and south to Saranac for the night. Monday we run from Saranac back to Old Forge.
 #1282726  by SteelRail

RussNelson wrote:BTW, there will be a NEREX speeder run on the ADIX. Saturday we run from Old Forge to Remsen, hopefully going all the way to the Remsen (recreated) station. Sunday it's Old Forge to Big Moose to Lake Placid, and south to Saranac for the night. Monday we run from Saranac back to Old Forge.
Will anyone be shooting video? I'd love to see some footage of the OOS sections.
 #1282730  by traingeek8223

Russ

This goes without saying but take pictures and share them! The section between Big Moose and Tupper Lake is something that few people have gotten to see in the last 30 years and I myself still need the Beaver River to Piercefield section, save for a mile in each direction around Horseshoe, Sabattis and Nehasane.
 #1282964  by kylewalsh24

I managed to take pictures if the NEREX speeder run as they were headed southbound over Kayuta trestle. I would like to send them to someone that is a part of this group to forward to the owners of the railcars. I tried to get pictures of every speeder as they went over. Thought it would be neat for them to have pictures like this. If you were on the trip I was the one on the black jetski with the camera. Let me know who to send them to.

-Kyle
 #1283402  by tree68

Gee, Russ, had I known - I was the ADIX crew member who was keeping an eye on things around the station.

I have a video of the entire entourage passing over the Rt 28 bridge headed north on Sunday morning. I'll work on getting posted.
 #1283404  by BR&P

You mean you didn't spend the night at The Norridgewock at Beaver River? That used to be THE place for speeder excursions back in the 1970's. Good food, good lodging...why that Scott kid even played a mean guitar for the sing-alongs at the bar in the evenings! :P