Railroad Forums 

• Rahway Valley Railroad Status

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1037553  by CGRLCDR

I was just over at Liberty Avenue in Union checking the status of that portion of the Rahway Valley Railroad. On the east side of Liberty Ave I could see the newbut rusty 132 pound rail and ties, but the track was totally overgrown with rubbish and saplings. The crossing has been paved over and new sidewalks installed on either side of the road. The ROW on the west side of Liberty Avenue has been filled in and landscaped; it looks like it is part of the Bed and Bath property. This project looks like it has been a huge was of taxpayer money. What a shame.
 #1066103  by nick11a

CGRLCDR wrote:I was just over at Liberty Avenue in Union checking the status of that portion of the Rahway Valley Railroad. On the east side of Liberty Ave I could see the newbut rusty 132 pound rail and ties, but the track was totally overgrown with rubbish and saplings. The crossing has been paved over and new sidewalks installed on either side of the road. The ROW on the west side of Liberty Avenue has been filled in and landscaped; it looks like it is part of the Bed and Bath property. This project looks like it has been a huge was of taxpayer money. What a shame.
This portion of the railroad was never restored. It was meant to be, but didn't. I live about a mile from here. This portion would have connected the line from Cranford to Summit. Only the portion south of Cranford was restored, however its use has been.... limited.
 #1066151  by kilroy

Nick,

This probably should be moved to the existing RVRR thread in the M&E forum along with the other RVRR thread here in the NJ forum.
 #1066184  by nick11a

kilroy wrote:Nick,

This probably should be moved to the existing RVRR thread in the M&E forum along with the other RVRR thread here in the NJ forum.
My powers don't work here. You'll have to contact David.
 #1066554  by nick11a

kilroy wrote:And here I thought you were all powerful.
You thought wrong. :-)
 #1066688  by nick11a

Trainlawyer wrote:
nick11a wrote:
CGRLCDR wrote:I was just over at Liberty Avenue in Union checking the status of that portion of the Rahway Valley Railroad. On the east side of Liberty Ave I could see the newbut rusty 132 pound rail and ties, but the track was totally overgrown with rubbish and saplings. The crossing has been paved over and new sidewalks installed on either side of the road. The ROW on the west side of Liberty Avenue has been filled in and landscaped; it looks like it is part of the Bed and Bath property. This project looks like it has been a huge was of taxpayer money. What a shame.
This portion of the railroad was never restored. It was meant to be, but didn't. I live about a mile from here. This portion would have connected the line from
Cranford to Summit. Only the portion south of Cranford was restored, however its use has been.... limited.
Check your history. Significant amounts of state money were spent north of Cranford. That is the area which engendered the controversy.
GME
Oh..... I see.
 #1066936  by David

We'll keep it here for a while--It is still a NJ railroad.
 #1068082  by amtrakowitz

Trainlawyer wrote:
nick11a wrote:
This portion of the railroad was never restored. It was meant to be, but didn't. I live about a mile from here. This portion would have connected the line from
Cranford to Summit. Only the portion south of Cranford was restored, however its use has been.... limited.
Check your history. Significant amounts of state money were spent north of Cranford. That is the area which engendered the controversy.
GME
I heard of no "controversy" beyond Union County running out of money for the project. No significant NIMBY opposition or suchlike; not even the restoration of the viaduct into Summit was really being strongly opposed. I also heard that the county wanted to invest in elevating the railroad over US 22.
 #1068247  by Steamtown Observer

Correct me if I am wrong but I thought the things he was indicted for did not include the Rahway Valley. Is that correct or is additional investigation that has gone on since the initial indictment?
 #1068278  by nick11a

Steamtown Observer wrote:Correct me if I am wrong but I thought the things he was indicted for did not include the Rahway Valley. Is that correct or is additional investigation that has gone on since the initial indictment?
That's how I read it; dealing with monies spent in Kenvil. But, more details may come to surface.
 #1068280  by blockline4180

nick11a wrote:
That's how I read it; dealing with monies spent in Kenvil. But, more details may come to surface.
Nick,

I had thought it had to do with the Passaic River Bridge on the Whippany Line.. Money that went to rehab that, which was supposed to be allocated for somewhere else?? No?
 #1068292  by nick11a

blockline4180 wrote:
nick11a wrote:
Nick,

I had thought it had to do with the Passaic River Bridge on the Whippany Line.. Money that went to rehab that, which was supposed to be allocated for somewhere else?? No?
This, from another thread: http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopi ... 8&start=15
Steamtown Observer wrote:I just saw the indictment and it specifically says the alleged fraud was for the Kenvil Team Track, Kenvil Scale Track, Cedar Knolls Team Track and Passaic River Bridge.
Asking a question which you answered previously, SteamtownObserver?
 #1068315  by Steamtown Observer

Well maybe asking the same question but not because of my original answer. I have heard a lot of stuff about the partial rehab on the RV so I was curious if there were any new indictments based on that. This person was also involved with an operation up in New York and Pennsylvania as well and I know there was some kind of legal activity going on up there that was reported in the Rochester business newspaper (I don't think it was Crains, but that kind of publication) a couple of years ago. I thought perhaps something new had happened but it appears not, at least in public.