Railroad Forums 

• Reading Seashore Line Alignments

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1012936  by JHZR2

Hi,

Ive taken the NJT line from Cherry Hill to AC. Looking at maps, it seems to be the old Reading Seashore Line.

Thus, rather than going into 30th st, like it currently does (and oddly, I think it goes under the station rather than the raised lines, which Id think it would go on because it is a diesel train), I assume it went to Reading Terminal, which I also believe was all raised track.

The current trip from NJ to 30th St. is very roundabout. It goes up to Pennsauken someplace (maybe actually Palmyra or further, I dont recall, it has been a long while since I actually took it CH-Philly) before coming down to Cherry Hill.

I assume that originally it took a route through Camden which was somewhat similar to how Patco runs, given that the AC line would have gone from Reading Terminal, (which is like 8th and Market, roughly, same as PATCO), then on to Lindenwold (which is also a PATCO stop).

Can anyone comment on how it went?

Oaklyn, Haddon Heights, etc. all have an Atlantic Ave that is is along a freight line. There is also a rail line going through Westmont. Was one of these the old Reading line? If so, what was the other?

Thanks!
 #1013109  by JimBoylan

Steam trains that used Broad St. Station had to use the Upper Level of 30th St. Station, the Lower Level didn't go there. After Broad St. Station closed, many steam trains left from the North ends of the Lower Level platforms, with the smokestack just outside beyond the end of the platform. Many arrived on the Upper Level, which was better ventilated, and soon backed into the yards.