Railroad Forums 

• Caboose used as office in north bergen trailer park

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#523495  by Steve F45

I've wanted to ask about this particular caboose for sometime now. Its located next to an office or small bar at a trailor park in north bergen. The trailor park is located right about near the GE facility. I've never stopped by to look at it or even inquire about it. It still has the knuckles on it, and i think the airhose. But the bottom is all boarded up so i can't even see if teh trucks are still attached to it. If i take off from work i may stop by and take a look or ask around about it. But in the mean time does anyone know anything about this caboose?

#523523  by cjvrr

Hopefully Roger Kirkpatrick will respond. His handle on the site is;

caboose9

He maintains a list of captive cabooses and should have this one listed.

I too have seen it many times and wondered about it history.

#523565  by caboose9

Hi,

I too have listed it for some time and wondered about it history:

RR? #?, composition?, style?, near Conrail Yard, Tonnelle Ave./Rt. 1 & 9, North Bergen, NJ.

Ok guys, let's fill in the blanks!

Cheers, Roger, formerly Oak Tree on the LV

#523617  by cjvrr

Steve,

Get some photos of it and post the links.

I don't think it has trucks, but if it does that may help with a casting mark or date.

#523906  by Steve F45

im going to go down tomorrow/today (thursday) and see if i can get any information on it and some pics and i'll post them up when i can.
 #524172  by faxman

the old station in bound brook is now empty. it was set up for a before the floods
 #546771  by Steve F45

Well I finally stopped by the Manhattan trailor park to check out this caboose. The office was closed so i couldn't ask anyone about it. I walked around it and noticed that its sitting on a concrete foundation but the end frames where the knuckle and platforms are go thru it, so i think its just sitting ontop of it. I could not find any builder info. The only visible parts were the platforms which were redone with wood, the railings with brake wheel and knuckle/air hose/coupler lift bar. On the knuckle it had a date of 6/42 and some writting that i didn't know what it meant. ASF was on the opposite side of the date. Inside it had some old railroad lanterns and a payphone, so im guessing its part of the main office.
 #557970  by caboose9

Steve F45 wrote, "I stopped by the Manhattan trailor park to check out this caboose. The office was closed so i couldn't ask anyone about it. I walked around it and noticed that its sitting on a concrete foundation but the end frames where the knuckle and platforms are go thru it, so i think its just sitting ontop of it. I could not find any builder info."

Any photos?