Railroad Forums 

• Freehold Secondary OOS Section

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#925602  by GSC

Reid's is still alive and well along Rt 33 Park Ave., in front of the old Brockway Glass, and their big field and barn / truck garage right across the road from there, and a small patch on the southeast side of the new Halls Mills / Park Ave intersection. Not sure about their other locations, like the one CJPat mentioned that was sold.
 #925642  by Jtgshu

GSC wrote:Reid's is still alive and well along Rt 33 Park Ave., in front of the old Brockway Glass, and their big field and barn / truck garage right across the road from there, and a small patch on the southeast side of the new Halls Mills / Park Ave intersection. Not sure about their other locations, like the one CJPat mentioned that was sold.
yea, they are still around, my dad just had 3 pallets delivered the other day - darn....i missed out on all that fun :) You should have seen the excitement on my brothers face after laying all that sod :) HHAHA
 #926170  by Blackseal Jim

CJPat wrote:Is Reid's still around? They closed up their facility on Adelphia Rd and sold the property off to housing developments a few years ago.
That was actually Turf Grass Sod farm. Reid Sod farm is huge with Rt #33 being only a piece of it. Not much fun in laying 3 pallets of sod !
Jim H
 #926295  by CJPat

My bad. I thought it was Reid's on Adelphia Rd.

To make this RR related, they always had a sign up saying they bought old/used model trains.
 #926809  by GSC

Aw JT, you missed out on all that fun helping Huck and Becky and all the other kids whitewash that fence for ol' Tom Sawyer.

Been a while since I put down sod. And I intend to keep it that way.
 #927428  by GSC

Since we're rebuilding service on this line, with all that MOM passenger traffic we have, we need to rebuild the line from Farmingdale to Allaire for shuttle service. We don't want all those drunks who attend the wine tasting festivals to be driving, y'know.

Thinking back to before the F'dale to Manasquan portion was removed, the only freight customers along the line were Monmouth Box in Allenwood, and Frequency Engineering in F'dale, that got an occasional hopper of something. Nothing was left in Mansquan back then. No wonder the line was abandoned.

In its heyday, PRR wanted to double-track the line, it was so busy. Would have loved to see that much traffic!
 #929258  by GSC

MAJOR CLEANUP ONGOING ON THE FREEHOLD SECONDARY!

From Farmingdale on to Fairfield Road in Howell, a major cleanup is in progress along the OOS section of the old Freehold & Jamesburg Agricultural RR. On either side of Adelphia Road in F'dale is a substantial access road right alongside the trackage. Bucket trucks from out-of-state electric companies (the ones you see around here after a major storm) are parked at that crossing working along there.

At the Fairfield Road crossing, the ROW has been cut back, and tire tracks are next to the tracks.

Nice to see the ROW cleaned up, rather than the jungle it's been for years.
 #929674  by Blackseal Jim

I an ICC report about an accident around Allaire back in the 1940's where a 4-4-2 and 3 coaches hit a washout @ 50 mph and went on their sides. They really moved through there back when. Also , I was @ BR&W and the PRR Doodlebug 4666 is being worked on. Must have been nasty to run that. Looks like you could rest your arm on the main generator while you ran.
Jim H
 #929689  by GSC

That accident happened between Hurley Pond Road and Atlantic Ave, and the rescuers had to walk in to the wreck, during the storm that caused the washout. The engine rolled to its side and killed the engineer and fireman. Many passengers were hurt, some seriously. I think it was in the late 30s, I have info on it around here somewhere.

East Broad Top's M-1 doodlebug is the same way. The engineer squeezes in right against the engine. Nice during the summer, I'll bet.
 #929690  by GSC

Found it. The wreck happened on June 10, 1940.
 #949167  by GSC

A few days ago I noticed a lumber "plank road" on the cleared section of new access road at Adelphia Road in Farmingdale, headed toward Freehold. Must be muddy along there.