Railroad Forums 

• Need info regarding the 1958 CNJ Wreck

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#388660  by certifiabully

I have never been to these forums but in an EXHAUSTIVE internet search for a friend, I have come up with very few mentions of the September 15, 1958 train wreck off the Newark Bay Bridge. My friend's mother and infant brother were killed in the accident when he was 7 and he knows very little about what happened. Was hoping to find survivors that may still be alive, his mother and brother's obituaries, and/or Star Ledger (and other small newspaper) articles on this subject. He said he has some photos because his father (who has passed away) worked for the railroad at the time. Any help anyone could provide will be greatly appreciated! I found an article in the NY Times and in Time Magazine, but very little else. Feel free to PM me with the info if you have viable links. Any and all help welcome!!!

Thank you in advance!!

#388813  by Jtgshu

If I recall, www.railfan.net in the Fallen Flags/Jersey Central forum there was a pretty good thread going about that incident. I also have a book from the CNJ Historical Society that discusses the incident. It is a collection of a series of magazine articles that ran about the crash in some mazagine (Blockline maybe?) about 20 years ago - I don't know where the book is right now though :-(

Also, try contacting the various historical societies, in particular the CNJ historical society - im sure they would be able to help you

#388885  by Idiot Railfan

In the 1980s, the magazine Block Line carried an exhaustive investigation of that accident that was published over several several issues. It was written by Don Dorflinger, who I believe is still an assistant principal at Wayne Hills High School in Wayne NJ.

There were reprints of the report available for some time. Maybe someone involved in Tri-State NHRS, which published Block Line, might know. Or maybe you could write to him at Wayne Hills High Schoo.

#389004  by certifiabully

Thanks so much yall!! Three super leads on this that I intend to get to work on immediately! Very helpful and I'd appreciate anything else you may run across, pictures, people, etc. Once again, thanks for taking the time to help!!

#389019  by certifiabully

Great link! Just heard from my friend and all the info that this site and a couple others have given me are things he did not know about the disaster! Keep up the good work yall!! :wink: Thanks again.

#389277  by dlwpocono

The DOT archives contain the ICC investigation report and can be found at:
http://dotlibrary.specialcollection.net/
Look under ICC Historical Railroad Investigation Reports and the year (1958)
Their report is listed under Central Railroad of New Jersey
 #390189  by henry6

Definitely check the ICC files; their investagation reports are complete. But also check the archives of NJ and NY newspapers. And of course TRAINS and RAILROAD magazines from the period. Even newsmagazines TIME, LIFE, and NEWSWEEK.