• Bergen County Line Freight

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by SecaucusJunction

I think that all of the rail around CP Sterling has been replaced within the past couple years... in fact I think all the rail to at least Harriman is relatively new. West of there, I'm not sure if there is any stick rail left on the Main. What switch is at Arden? Is there a freight siding there?
  by sullivan1985

SecaucusJunction wrote:I think that all of the rail around CP Sterling has been replaced within the past couple years... in fact I think all the rail to at least Harriman is relatively new. West of there, I'm not sure if there is any stick rail left on the Main. What switch is at Arden? Is there a freight siding there?
The rail on this train was a mix of used looking BETH STELTON (could not see a date) and brand new MITTAL USA rail. Most of it looked to be 132lb rail.

As for the switch at Arden and Sloatsburg, these are brand new pre-fab interlocking switches that appear to be waiting to be installed. Where, why and why? I'm not sure of.
  by gravelyfan

Through Ramsey westbound around 12:45
sullivan1985 wrote:NS H8R west through WEST BJ at 11:20AM.

NS 9879
NS 8944

About 40 cars. MoW CWR train.

Not sure where its headed. My guess is somewhere on the Southern Tier. Maybe it has something to do with the new switches laying along the tracks at Sloatsburg and Arden?

That or they are bringing CWR to the Newark Branch. Anyone else have any ideas?
  by SecaucusJunction

I guess since they went through Ramsey, they aren't going to be doing the Newark Branch? Who usually brings rail/supplies to the Port Jervis Line? NS or NJT?
  by Kaback9

The train should be the one for work along the tier.
  by malfunctjct

Kaback9 wrote:The train should be the one for work along the tier.
East of Port Jervis?
  by Kaback9

malfunctjct wrote:
Kaback9 wrote:The train should be the one for work along the tier.
East of Port Jervis?
I have no clue, I was told it was headed to CH, from there is anyones guess.
  by malfunctjct

Kaback9 wrote:I have no clue, I was told it was headed to CH, from there is anyones guess.
Thank you for the info provided.
  by SecaucusJunction

Anyone know his current location? Or did he head back to Croxton? Chuxter?
  by chuxter26

The H8R dropped 2 lengths of rail on the Hudson Sec-between HJ and Sarah Wells Trail...Took the train into Campbell Hall to
turn the power and switch cars for the move back east today...arrived back at Croxton around 3:20pm...The next stop to unload rail will be Corning....In the old days the "stellar " H8R crew would have run the train to Port Jervis or maybe on to Binghamton..................Ahhhhhhhh-the old days
  by SecaucusJunction

I saw the new switch at Sloatsburg but no other rail in sight... So I guess he didn't drop any along the way. I can understand a new switch in Sloatsburg to replace the one at Sterling but Arden puzzles me.
  by airman00

I'll ask this question here since it deals with freight on an NJT line. I noticed a video on you tube of a NS sw1001 that is still in active service, but for a time (2-3 years?) was stationed at the croxton yard, which is where any frieght that runs over NJT lines comes out of. (at least up north in bergen county where I live... I think, I could be wrong forgive me.)

I'm wondering if any here caught that engine out of the yard making freight deliveries on an NJT line? I see that it was reassigned elsewhere and I believe it is now in PA. I'll try to get the engine number.
  by airman00

I found it... It was NS 2100 sw1001, still in Conrail blue paint.
  by SecaucusJunction

There was also a "mobile office" set up at Sloatsburg... I dont know if it arrived yesterday or i just completely missed it the day before. Also about 15-20 rails and a lot of track clamps. I wonder if they're going to be moving CP Sterling at all? If so, where?