• West side of Newark Branch

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by JohnFPorcaro

I know they were there Thursday at about 7:00PM.
Any you Nutley guys hear the train go by ?
I'd like to know when & at what time(about).

by sullivan1985

Heard the horns blowing for the Alwood Road crossing the other night.
  by JohnFPorcaro

One car was delivered to W.A.S. about 1:30 in the morning 5/9/2007.
That makes about eight cars delivered since 4/5/2007.
Click the link to see a picture of the new car:

http://members.aol.com/Porcarocpu/rrwas.html

Henry Frankenstein: Look! It's moving. It's alive. It's alive... It's alive, it's moving, it's alive, it's alive, it's alive, it's alive, IT'S ALIVE!
Memorable quote from Frankenstein (1931)

by bukie2k

Movement south towards Newark tonight past Washington School in Nutley around 11:40pm.
  by JohnFPorcaro

We finally got to see N/S do a run down the old Newark Branch June 22nd. into 23rd, 2007. We started at the old Allwood Station(near Home Depot) at about 11:25, saw it cross that famous Nutley trestle, onto the Old Walnut Street Station. Followed it into Belleville at both the Essex Street Station & the Cleveland Street Station.

Finally winding up at W.A.S.(the old 4th. Street Station) in Newark. Unfortunately, the darkness did not make for many good pictures, but here are a few:

http://members.aol.com/Porcarocpu/rrnbn.html

BTW: 3(COUNT'EM) tanker cars were dropped off)

Henry Frankenstein: Look! It's moving. It's alive. It's alive... It's alive, it's moving, it's alive, it's alive, it's alive, it's alive, IT'S ALIVE!
  by JohnFPorcaro

Got a report that there was a long train going through Nutley at about 1:30 in the morning.
"Long live The Newark Branch"

Henry Frankenstein: "Look! It's moving. It's alive. It's alive... It's alive, it's moving, it's alive, it's alive, it's alive, it's alive, IT'S ALIVE!"
  by JohnFPorcaro

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LA68uyHmtmE

Henry Frankenstein: "Look! It's moving. It's alive. It's alive... It's alive, it's moving, it's alive, it's alive, it's alive, it's alive, IT'S ALIVE!"

by NJ Vike

Hello John,

Thanks for the pictures and vidoes. Still looking to catch the movement on the line :-D

Ken

by MarkRouters

It's great to hear about movement on this line as I moved out of Belleville and I don't get over there too much anymore. Never did get a PIC of a train going over the viaduct in Nutley. If anybody has one I'd love to see it. I'm in Rockaway now and when I drive down Green Pond Road it looks like there are old ROW's all over the place. I'll definitly have to get to know this area better.

by Dougster

Hey gang!

I was driving north on Rt 21 today and noticed about 10 gondolas on the Newark Branch alongside the over/under by the asphalt plant. Only saw the tops of them. Any ideas as to why they are there?

Doug

by mikedc3

There were a bunch or ROW's along Green Pond RD back in the day. Going North from Rt. 80. There was the CNJ\Hibernia Mine RR to the East of GPR. This is still used along "the flats" of GPR. It once ran to the lower Hibernia mines which are in the area of the firehouse.

Next was the CNJ Oreland branch which ran to the upper Hibernia mines. This line crossed GPR near the corner of Lake Denmark Rd. The ROW from GPR to upper Hibernia is now park land. There are some interesting mine remains at the end of this line but a lot more was destroyed in the early 90's.

Further North the CNJ Wharton and Northern crossed GPR under a bridge on it's way to the Jct with the NYSnW. You can see this ROW next to Egbert's Lake.

Just North of this was a ROW to the mines below the ridge near Green Pond. This ROW is inside "the dump" there is a gate\fence blocking the area. This is at the bottom of the hill before you the road goes up to GP. On the other side is a white house with a barn near it. The ROW is in the woods behind these buildings.

finally, is the NYSnW which is still in use today. RR's went everywhere back in the day.

MarkRouters wrote:It's great to hear about movement on this line as I moved out of Belleville and I don't get over there too much anymore. Never did get a PIC of a train going over the viaduct in Nutley. If anybody has one I'd love to see it. I'm in Rockaway now and when I drive down Green Pond Road it looks like there are old ROW's all over the place. I'll definitly have to get to know this area better.
  by JohnFPorcaro

Dougster(the original poster if this tread) is back!
The gondolas are there to pick up garbage as they clean up the line.
I took some pictures of the gondolas and a car at the old Frey Chem. company.

http://members.aol.com/Porcarocpu/rrpic.html

Dougster wrote:Hey gang!
I was driving north on Rt 21 today and noticed about 10 gondolas on the Newark Branch alongside the over/under by the asphalt plant. Only saw the tops of them. Any ideas as to why they are there?
Doug

by Dougster

OK. But why the clean up in that area? Is there something else afoot or did NS finally suddenly get the desire to remove god knows what from the side of the tracks. Mind you, the area sure needs it. Track needs work too.

Doug
  by JohnFPorcaro

...off at the old Frey Chemical.
Plus the gondolas were taken away.

Here is a few pictures of the new car:
http://members.aol.com/Porcarocpu/rrfrey.html

by JohnFPorcaro

MarkRouters wrote:I was driving down Mcarter highway in Newark last night and I think I saw a tank car sitting at the chemical company (WAS terminals Inc?) at the end of the track. I went by pretty quick and I didn't get a good look. Can any body verify? I want tom belive this line still has some life left in it. I still didn't get a chance to get a pic of a train going over the viaduct in Nutley.
I find it interesting what has happened in a year on this side of the Newark Branch. From 8/2006 to 12/28/2006 they received only 3 cars.
Since then, in the last year, they have received over 40+ cars at W.A.S., and Frey Chem. has started to receive cars again.

"Long Live The Newark Branch"