Railroad Forums 

• Current SJ timetable?

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1387955  by rrbluesman

Does anyone know where I might find a current timetable for CSAO south Jersey operations? The timetable on sjrail.com doesn't coordinate to the action I saw this evening at Woodbury, wondering if I caught a special train or the sjrail timetable is no longer accurate.
 #1388652  by von schlieffen

The road freights over the delair bridge may depart at scheduled times, but the various locals sure don't. In the Woodbury area, CA-11 passes through heading south onto the PENNS around 0740 and returns north after 1600 but this varies greatly. Sometimes it sits at the distant signal at West End for hours, well into the evening, waiting for the main to clear before returning to Camden. PA-40, the Paulsboro yard job, runs to Swedesboro via Woodbury junction, midday on some weekdays, usually with just two or three cars, and switches industries in Paulsboro and Thorofare as needed. The time varies. MI-21 comes up from Millville at night and drops mostly sand hoppers on the storage track in Woodbury, then returns. The timing also seems to vary. The various oil tank trains run as needed and according the petroleum demand. Tanker traffic has been very light since gasoline got cheap. A camden yard job comes down to Woodbury's north end most weekday afternoons to pick up the gondolas that are stored on the second track and shoves them into Broadway terminal in Camden where they get loaded with steel slabs from Russia, which eventually go to Ohio.

What kind of train did you see, where, and at what time? We can probably tell you what it was. But to answer your question, no, there is no timetable, because these trains simply run according to the demands of industry, not at the whim of the railroad. This is what CSAO South Jersey is- essentially a semi-short line, operating out of a hub in Camden.