Railroad Forums 

• Abandoned power substation near Browns Yard in Spotswood

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1310110  by carajul

In Spotswood NJ along the Amboy there is a power substation or something I assume from the overhead power days. Its at the intersection of Manalapan Rd and Village Dr. Someone tried to hide it by putting a wooden fence around it. There is a huge lighting rod that shoots up in the center like 200' high. There are all these power poles and some time of small structure with a hipped roof. I looked at arials as far back as 1940 and this facility was the only thing in the area... even the hipped roof structure. Its kinda cool because the whole facility is engulfed in huge trees now. Like nature is taking over.

Does anyone know what this facility is and who owns it? Kinda cool how its being returned to nature. Does anyone know what the building is with the hipped style roof? It too has been there all these years
http://www.bing.com/maps/?v=2&cp=qqxqcc ... orm=LMLTCC" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1310117  by Ken W2KB

carajul wrote:In Spotswood NJ along the Amboy there is a power substation or something I assume from the overhead power days. Its at the intersection of Manalapan Rd and Village Dr. Someone tried to hide it by putting a wooden fence around it. There is a huge lighting rod that shoots up in the center like 200' high. There are all these power poles and some time of small structure with a hipped roof. I looked at arials as far back as 1940 and this facility was the only thing in the area... even the hipped roof structure. Its kinda cool because the whole facility is engulfed in huge trees now. Like nature is taking over.

Does anyone know what this facility is and who owns it? Kinda cool how its being returned to nature. Does anyone know what the building is with the hipped style roof? It too has been there all these years
http://www.bing.com/maps/?v=2&cp=qqxqcc ... orm=LMLTCC" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The building is typical of electric utility control huts for substations and switching stations. It would have sheltered controls, protection and operating system relays, metering, scada, etc. Back when this may have been a manned substation with an operator so would have been for the employees on duty.
 #1310132  by amtrakhogger

The substation was put in by the PRR around 1935. It remained in service until through Penn Central and Conrail before being decommissioned in the 1980's after CR's cessation of electric freight service.
 #1310334  by carajul

Here is a pic I took coming out of the trailer park. They put a white fence around 3 sides of the substation to mask it from public view. I think it looks so cool how it's being engulfed by nature. Note the cut electrical wires hanging from the towers. Couldn't see the building though it's covered in trees even in winter time.
[attachment=0]20141230_122032.jpg[/attachment]