Railroad Forums 

• Washington Secondary Question

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1302507  by CGRLCDR

My friend lives in Franklin Township - Asbury Village and just reported that she heard a train on the line that runs adjacent to Rt 57, which I believe is the Washington Secondary. What would be running on the Washington Secondary this time of night? My guess is that the LV line is down for maintenance and trains have been re-routed to P'Burg.
 #1302528  by pdtrains

The local went west around 3-4pm. Nothing else running on the Washington line tda that I know of. Strong SW breeze today tho, so could be something on the LV main. Im up here in stewartsville, and the horns from the LV main can sound loud with SW wind. As for re-routes over the DLW, never happened in recent history, and prob never will. LOOOONG ass re-route, plus movement over NJT lines with pass service, plus 10 mph running wash-pburg. Rerouting around the bound brook-abe segment goes ex-rdg west trenton line-PRR tenton cutoff-reading main..to reading, or west trenton line-trenton cutoff- PRR main and branches to Enola.
 #1302618  by pdtrains

Question answered today. Washington local (H65?) Running later now. East thru stewartsville about 2:30 pm, which mean s it will be west tnt about 8-9pm, which is when ur friend heard a horn. Only exception is that sundays the train runs to Wash only and ties down. Monday the local works wash-abe only, so runs earlier in the day. Must be some reason for the later time, altho I can't inmagine switching BASF in the dark is any fun. They have about 5 tracks, and there is several hours of switching there, not just drop loads and p/u empties. I think this is where they need the traction of 2 units ..moving around the tank cars with hand brakes set.
 #1302640  by Ken W2KB

I live in northwestern Lebanon Township at 1,000 feet above sea level on top of the mountain that separates the South Branch of Raritan and Musconetcong River drainages. From time to time when outside walking the dogs along my driveway I've faintly heard the horns in the distance in the 9 to 10 P.m. range. It's very quiet here at night and especially with a westerly wind the the sound carries the 4 to 5 miles.
 #1302654  by CGRLCDR

Thanks, everyone. Good/interesting information. My friend said that she's never heard the train horn at that time in the evening before. That's the line that the Morristown and Erie Excursion used to return from Bethlehem, PA. It was very slow from P'Burg to the Washington Yard - jogging speed. Very fun trip.
:-D
 #1328003  by pdtrains

Local came thru pburg about 1pm today and got to washington about 2pm. SD-40, SD-60 and 17 cars. 5 cars for BASF, 1 CRGX tank, 1 flat of lumber, 2 of RR ties, 4 cov hop of pellets, rest box cars. The put the cars for the dover drill in the yard, and ten went back and switched BASF.
Last edited by pdtrains on Mon Apr 27, 2015 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #1328183  by pdtrains

Went down to washington again tda. The crew taxied out from allentown, worked basf, and picked up empties that were dropped off by the dover drill. Went west from washington abt 2pm with 4 tanks from BASF, 5 box and 1 tank from dover drill.