Railroad Forums 

• 30 years ago today......

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1225272  by NJT4272

T'was on this day in 1983 that I, as a mere lad of 8, rode behind the very last train ever pulled by a GG1.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSTNZDfqmbU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyb86R8rRyY

Enjoy the trip down memory lane.
 #1225301  by R36 Combine Coach

46 years in mainline service (1935-81), plus two additional on the Coast Line, which would be unmatched by the AEM7s and HHP8s.
 #1225511  by glennk419

They certainly were a classic that will never be duplicated, happy that we still have as many (static) representations in existence today as we do.

The shot in segment 4 of the video with the WTC towers in the background was especially chilling.
 #1225648  by BigDell

46 years in mainline service (1935-81), plus two additional on the Coast Line, which would be unmatched by the AEM7s and HHP8s.
....nor would it be matched by the GG1's successor, the ephemeral and odd E60. I always liked that strange, bulky beast, thrown together from old freight engine parts (I assumed, I could be wrong). I think they still run on Black Mesa and Lake Powell, yes?

I remember that day 30 years ago! I was trackside on the NJCL taking photos and "super 8 movies"! :-)
Hard to believe it has been 30 years...........
 #1225881  by cjvrr

I was there too. Started my father and I in railfanning. Now I am continuing the tradition with my kids.
 #1225971  by BigDell

Ugh.... I find the NEC a bit boring with the current roster. Excepting the HH-8's, which is always a fun find.... What I'd give to see a GG-1 in action again. I have to break out the old Super 8's (actually they've all been transferred to VHS, now I'll transfer them to DVD) over the weekend.... I love the pics. It was a "gift" that they actually gave it such a great send-off thirty years ago - and that the weather held out.
 #1225973  by BigDell

4877 and the Jersey Shore Commuter Club
Not to go off-topic, but whatever happened to the Jersey Shore Commuter Club? I'm guessing this is somewhere else in the forum, but in short is that car/service no longer running?
 #1226169  by Ken S.

BigDell wrote:
Not to go off-topic, but whatever happened to the Jersey Shore Commuter Club? I'm guessing this is somewhere else in the forum, but in short is that car/service no longer running?
I believe their car was a victim of Sandy or something related to Sandy happened to them.
 #1226297  by bluedash2

chuchubob wrote:I was there, too.
Thanks for sharing Bob. I didn't know they were still using the PRR painted coaches even in '83 and it is nice to see NJT finally gave the G's a badly needed wash....
 #1227053  by BigDell

BigDell wrote:

I believe their car was a victim of Sandy or something related to Sandy happened to them.

Really?? Oh no.... if that wonderful car was lost to the storm that'd be a shame... I used to love seeing it pass through Elizabeth when I was a teen. i managed to snag a few photos back then. It's a shame if it was destroyed.
 #1283159  by deadhead

I can remember working in Raritan yard in the late 70's early 80's when a GG1 came in for a paint job. It was painted tuscan red with the yellow stripes. I was very young (around 20) when this happened. I do remember the paint used on the GG1 was Dupont Imron paint. It came in 1 gallon cans and there was so many pallets that I said to myself Holly you know what. I never knew where that GG1 was going.

Needless to say, before the paint job it looked tired. But after the paint job it looked sweet. Kind of like a face lift.
 #1283327  by scottso699

I was 3. I know I liked trains... but I didn't know what a GG1 was. Bummer. Never got to see one run. My first memory of the NJCL is a NJ Transit F40PH-2 and comet 1 cars - about 1985-86?
 #1283332  by kilroy

While they won't be in operating condition, you can photograph a pair of grand ladies in PRR Brunswick Green, one cat whiskers, one large keystone, at the URHS open house in Boonton in September (forget the date).