Railroad Forums 

• Cranford brush clearing

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1196568  by Ken W2KB

northjerseybuff wrote:Whats going on in the area of Cranford? Lots of brush cutting along the NJT ROW near the GSP.
Noticed a mobile office trailer there also this morning. Perhaps part of the project to create a safe haven for rail equipment storm evacuation? Personnel need somewhere to report if the MMC or other location is flooded.
 #1196620  by peconicstation

northjerseybuff wrote:Whats going on in the area of Cranford? Lots of brush cutting along the NJT ROW near the GSP.
It could also be prep work for the Union County Bus Way project.

Ken
 #1196795  by pumpers

peconicstation wrote: It could also be prep work for the Union County Bus Way project.
Ken
What's that? JS
 #1196809  by peconicstation

pumpers wrote:
peconicstation wrote: It could also be prep work for the Union County Bus Way project.
Ken
What's that? JS
The Union County Go Bus Expressway will have limited stop busses running along the CNJ ROW from Garwood to Elizabethport, and onto the airport.

It's for lack of a better word a replacement for the cancelled Newark to Elizabeth light rail link and the Union County Metro light rail.

At least it's a reuse of the CNJ main for something.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bus_rapid_ ... New_Jersey" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.apta.com/mc/multimodal/previ ... County.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ken
 #1196850  by ccutler

I think the equipment was there to rehab the Garwood running track between Garwood and Cranford. That job appears to be complete and that track is heavily upgraded now. I rode the RVL today and east of Cranford Jct there has been no brush cutting or prep work whatsoever.

Moreover, post-Sandy I think the busway plan is history. The ROW planned for the busway is occupied by a now-upgraded 3rd track, which now cuts back into the main tracks just east of Cranford. That track is intended I believe to store trains in the event of a hurricane, and there are rumors that the Bayway oil refinery may want to use it for shipping oil in from the Bakken Shale fields [though I doubt NJT would go for that].