Railroad Forums 

• GM Train Yard

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1152780  by rinzler

Does anybody know of the closed GM Yard around Edison?
 #1154087  by snavely

Your question is confusing...The GM plant was in Linden, the Ford plant was in Edison. Both are closed, both had rail service and both were on Route 1. Which plant are you interested in? And what is it you would like to know about it?
 #1154095  by TAMR213

In addition, Stiles Street Yard (that served GM in Linden) was closed around the same time as the GM Plant. Metuchen Yard (that served the Ford plant in Edison) while not as busy as it once was (for example, the auto ramps), is still very much an active yard. IIRC both plants were closed in 2005.
 #1156510  by rinzler

Was just wondering where they were. I'm into abandoned trains, yards and stops. Thanks.
 #1157523  by Don31

rinzler wrote:Was just wondering where they were. I'm into abandoned trains, yards and stops. Thanks.
The Stiles Street Yard (Linden) is located near the intersection of W. Linden Avenue and Stiles Street. The old GM plant was across the street, where there is now a huge vacant lot.
 #1158967  by BigDell

It was initially quite startling to be driving down Rt 1 South in Linden, look across that huge vacant GM plant lot and see entire NJT or Amtrak consist on the NEC... That view had never been there, so to see entire consists, glistening in sunlight, was rather nice. This won't last too much longer, as development is starting on the property. Curious to see if they'll maintain the rail yard. I'm guessing so, I see MOW in there on occasion and have once or twice spotted a couple engines there. Not much else you could put into the space.
 #1158968  by Don31

BigDell wrote:Curious to see if they'll maintain the rail yard. I'm guessing so, I see MOW in there on occasion and have once or twice spotted a couple engines there. Not much else you could put into the space.
NJ Transit is evaluating it for use as a parking area for equipment during the next hurricane.
 #1264519  by Sir Ray

What is being developed on the old GM site?
Haven't been around there in a while, and after reading some old threads, I got curious and searched around - the latest I could find was this story from March about construction workers getting injured during construction of a warehouse on the property:
Duke Realty, the owner of the property, is building a 500,000-square-foot warehouse in an area off Pleasant Street, Gerbounka said. Construction began about two months ago.
Also:
Linden has been trying to redevelop the former General Motors site for years, but has run into several obstacles, including lawsuits from nearby businesses opposed to retail construction, the mayor also said
No kidding, the Eastern side of Rte 1 is briming with big-box and strip mall retail space, although apparently part of the erstwhile GM site was rezoned for big-box retail...ETA: apparently for a Super Wal-Mart. Whoop-pee...
 #1264961  by BigDell

No kidding, the Eastern side of Rte 1 is briming with big-box and strip mall retail space, although apparently part of the erstwhile GM site was rezoned for big-box retail...ETA: apparently for a Super Wal-Mart. Whoop-pee...
I've seen the signs for Legacy Commerce Center on the site. I thought it was going to be some sort of massive warehouse or other industrial center, similar to the one in Carteret.
I'd seen this some time back: http://www.dukerealty.com/construction/ ... ce-center/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I know there were battles going on over the site. K-mart went out of business and many of those stores across the highway are NOT doing great. Plus there is already a Walmart right across the street. Not sure building another one gains them much. Anyway, I guess we'll see. It'd be nice if it was something that needed rail service. :-)