Railroad Forums 

• Need help identifying photo S. Amboy P.R.R.

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1079149  by mrichman333

Hi all, I am hoping some of you history buffs can help me. I have a newspaper clipping of a photo that I found in my deceased mothers scrap book. It was from the 8/28/1958 South Amboy Citizen from the “long ago … in our town” it is a photo of P.R.R. workers at the car shop 1909. In South Amboy NJ. No names are given.

The paper no longer exists, but the local library has the back issues on line.

The photo looks like it may have been taken by the P.R.R

The original photo must have listed the names. Both my great-grand fathers worked for the P.R.R and I believe one or both of them are in the photo.
There were to photos in the paper but my mom only kept the top.

Hi all, I am hoping some of you history buffs can help me. I have a newspaper clipping of a photo that I found in my deceased mothers scrap book. It was from the 8/28/1958 South Amboy Citizen from the “long ago … in our town” it is a photo of P.R.R. workers at the car shop 1909. In South Amboy NJ. No names are given.

The paper no longer exists, but the local library has the back issues on line.

The photo looks like it may have been taken by the P.R.R

The original photo must have listed the names. Both my great-grand fathers worked for the P.R.R and I believe one or both of them are in the photo.

http://www.dowdell.org/citizen/1958/1958-08-28.pdf this is a link to the paper, the photo is on page 8

Where might I be able to go to fine information on this photo?

Any help is welcome. Thanks
 #1082143  by GSC

I can't offer you any help with this, but we all appreciate seeing things from way back when. Thanks for sharing.
 #1095580  by Pennsyjohn

Well, I haven't posted in a bit but I may be able to help.

The PRR had a car repair shop down by the old
coal docks. They did car repairs there, with engine maintenance being done
by the Raritan River shops.

There is an aerial photo of the area in the early 1900's, but I can't locate it at
the moment. Historic Aerials may have it.

Pennsyjohn