Railroad Forums 

• Danbury Railway Museum Thread

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#390084  by Otto Vondrak

Randy- thanks for taking the time to post here and let us know what's new. I hope some of this info will make it to the web site sometime.
 #399581  by SRS402

After many years up on blocking, the Long Island 617 (Nee New Haven 0428) FA has been put back on wheels.
After a failed attempt the previous weekend 5-5,
crane service came on this past Sunday 5-13 and did the deed.
Track work continues in the yard.
Air brakes valves for the SW8 and 44 tonner have returned from servicing and will be installed work continues on these two units
as well as the NYC wooden Caboose, PRR RPO 6563 and the B&M 1455

hi

#401140  by thebigham

If I take MN to Danbury, is the museum close to the MN station? Can I walk there.

I'm assuming it's very close to the MN station.

Chris

#401942  by Maybrook fan

"thebigham" the Metro North tracks litterally "circle the museum"

When the train pulls into the Danbury station you can see much of the rolling stock collection right out of the train window.

#402198  by thebigham

Thanks!

I may go up on Monday.

#402259  by D.Carleton

thebigham wrote:I may go up on Monday.
The museum is closed on Mondays all year and Mondays/Tuesdays during winter.

#411307  by SRS402

The DRM was featured on Fox News last night as part of their Day Trippers segment. Check it out here http://fox61.trb.com/

I am a member/vollunteer and sit on the Board of Directors.

#411313  by Otto Vondrak

I saw the repainted Pennsy RPO - the new paint looks great. The numbers are not PRR, but everything else looks great. What are the plans for the interior?

-otto-
 #412493  by SRS402

The inerior was largely intact when we recieved it. It is being restored as donations are received. All the windows that were busted out have been replaced and glass globes that were missing are replaced (not origional style). Some areas of rotted floorboards have been repaired. Missing drawers and mail chute covers have been replicated. The interior has been painted and wood stained. we have collected a number of mail sacks from the U.S.P.S. to put on display. One of our talented members has replicated two mail hooks to go on the car. It is really coming along and looks good.

#442193  by M630

I might be in that area in a few weeks - sounds like this would be a good side trip. Is the yard open during the week? Just wondering how much is open on the weekdays...

Thanks for any info and thanks to those posting news here - good to see them making progress.