• Wolfeboro Railroad 2-6-2 #250

  • Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

  • 189 posts
  • 1
  • 7
  • 8
  • 9
  • 10
  • 11
  • 13
  by Trainlover479
 
thats why i was thinking of contacting him through the Grafton and Upton email.....i know he owns that railroad, or i can contact him through the cape cod railroad, i can even try using facebook on the ediville page.....i just want a response from this man. He should know 250 is suffering under his ownership.
  by MEC407
 
Good luck. No one at G&U answers email either.
  by Trainlover479
 
if i cant get him to respond, ill email someone who can go up to him about it. Thats what i can possibly hope for...
  by Cosmo
 
steamer69 wrote:Why all the doom and gloom Pete? Really? Send it back to Wolfboro? There's no museum there either! Now you're just being combative. OH MY GOSH!!!!! WE CAN'T WELD A COUPLE OF PIPES!!!!! MAY AS WELL JUST CUT IT UP!!!!!

WWDCD........
Ok, right. We'll just... weld it all back up again. SURE! Noooooooooooooooo proooobllem!
Ya got the tools? You got the shop? You got ANYTHING to work on it with?
Oh HELL! YOU don't even have the ENGINE! Someone ELSE does!
Oh, hey, here's a thought! We'll just get Pete Bouley to come and fix up that boiler for ya! I'm sure HE can do it... CHEAP!
  by Cosmo
 
Trainlover479 wrote:Look, someday i will make it steam, u dont need to ridicule me for every thought i have for the 250, i will laugh when i see cosmo's face trackside seeing the 250 steam by.......
Riiiiiiiiiiiiigggggggghhhhhht....... you have fun with that now.
How bout you call me,.. no, EMAIL me... better yet SNAIL MAIL me when thaat happens. I'll be sure to come running right down.
I'll even buy you a beer, because you'll be WELL past drinking age when THAT happens.
  by Trainlover479
 
Hahahaha Gladley, you have now made it my life goal to make the engine run, Now if you would take a chill pill and calm down, people might accually want to talk to you.
  by Cosmo
 
Trainlover479 wrote:thats why i was thinking of contacting him through the Grafton and Upton email.....i know he owns that railroad, or i can contact him through the cape cod railroad, i can even try using facebook on the ediville page.....i just want a response from this man. He should know 250 is suffering under his ownership.
It's not sufferin', laddie... it's STUFFED!

It wouldn't "voom" if you put a million volts through it!
That engine is a STIFF! It has run down the curtain and joined the choir-indivisible! THIS is a LATE ENGINE!
Bereft of life, it rests in PEACE! The engine has EX-pired, it's gone to meet it's maker!
If it hadn't have all it's moveable parts welded together, it'd be pulling around the daises!
THIS is an EX-ENGINE!

For gosh sake, let the kids play on it and dream of being engineers like I did. (Oh, wait, when I was there it was the B&M mogul and the NdeM engine.)

As for the ridiculing, it's not you but your STATEMENTS that beg humor to ward off insanity. While me and Steamer go back and forth over what is or isn't possible and how much would it cost, you DON'T have an engine, you DON'T have the funds to FIX the engine, and you DON'T have a shop to fix it IN!
So if you want to beleive you can just wish the thing into running again, that's fine, your mind is your castle.
BUT, this is a RAILROAD thread, not D&D, not Twilight, not WOW... you cant just collect Zynga money and expect to get the real world to respond.
  by steamer69
 
Cosmo wrote:
steamer69 wrote:Why all the doom and gloom Pete? Really? Send it back to Wolfboro? There's no museum there either! Now you're just being combative. OH MY GOSH!!!!! WE CAN'T WELD A COUPLE OF PIPES!!!!! MAY AS WELL JUST CUT IT UP!!!!!

WWDCD........
Ok, right. We'll just... weld it all back up again. SURE! Noooooooooooooooo proooobllem!
Ya got the tools? You got the shop? You got ANYTHING to work on it with?
Oh HELL! YOU don't even have the ENGINE! Someone ELSE does!
Oh, hey, here's a thought! We'll just get Pete Bouley to come and fix up that boiler for ya! I'm sure HE can do it... CHEAP!

As a matter of fact smart a$$ I do have the tools to do it. You don't know who you're talking to. I have shop space....there is an engine sitting on the pit getting worked on as I write this. I have all the tools I need to do anything to that engine, except turn drivers and press axils, and I don't need some quack boiler guy like Bouley to come and do it for me. You wana talk about people who just cut stuff up not knowing their butt from a hole in the wall....here's your sign. Cutting the delivery pipes sounds like something that has Bouly or his cronies all over it. I got welders, the lathes, milling machines....a whole shop. You act as if the steam world revolves around the sun that is the Valley Railroad. I'll tell you what Pete....for a know nothing trainee you shure do talk a good game. The steam world does not begin, nor does it end at the shops in Essex CT.
You doom and gloom wana be foaming tards can't get out of your own way long enough to see that the steam world in New England is dying a slow death because you harp this crap to death. Well...I got news for ya. You can weld the delivery pipes back on. They weld boilers, so how you gona sit there and tell me that they can't weld the stinking dry pipe! I've been part of welding them back together!!!!!! Seen it with my own eyes!!!!The crown sheet is not the death of the boiler or the locomotive. Judas Priest you just pop the stay bolts, cut the old sheet out and weld (yes you can weld on a boiler) in the new one. Not one thing you have said tells me that the wrapper, sides, mud ring, thoat, tounge, 1st 2nd and 3rd courses are bad. Re-doing running gear is not the end of the world. You saw this stuff being done to the 3025 in Essex, yet it can't be done. HELLO.....deet di deet deet da deet.....News Flash....That locomotive was burned up in a house fire and was rebuilt....even though it was a basket case!!!! Rebuilding engines is not that hard to do. Yes, it takes money. Yes, it takes time. Yes, it takes people....but it is not the earth shattering, universe ending remonstrance it's being made out to be.

WWDCD?
Last edited by steamer69 on Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  by steamer69
 
Cosmo wrote:While me and Steamer go back and forth over what is or isn't possible...
How many engines have you rebuilt that you know what can or can not be done? Not trying to be a dink.....but you talk a good game, just wondering how many return to service inspections you have done.....
  by Cosmo
 
steamer69 wrote:
Cosmo wrote:
steamer69 wrote:Why all the doom and gloom Pete? Really? Send it back to Wolfboro? There's no museum there either! Now you're just being combative. OH MY GOSH!!!!! WE CAN'T WELD A COUPLE OF PIPES!!!!! MAY AS WELL JUST CUT IT UP!!!!!

WWDCD........
Ok, right. We'll just... weld it all back up again. SURE! Noooooooooooooooo proooobllem!
Ya got the tools? You got the shop? You got ANYTHING to work on it with?
Oh HELL! YOU don't even have the ENGINE! Someone ELSE does!
Oh, hey, here's a thought! We'll just get Pete Bouley to come and fix up that boiler for ya! I'm sure HE can do it... CHEAP!

As a matter of fact smart a$$ I do have the tools to do it. You don't know who you're talking to. I have shop space....there is an engine sitting on the pit getting worked on as I write this. I have all the tools I need to do anything to that engine,

That's awesome. You still don't have #250, so what's your point? The "ya" I was referring to in the instance importante was our young Cullen. HE does not have all that groovy stuff you have. If you want, why don't you take HIM up there and teach him a thing or two at your shop on the engine you DO have?
steamer69 wrote: and I don't need some quack boiler guy like Bouley to come and do it for me. You wana talk about people who just cut stuff up not knowing their butt from a hole in the wall....here's your sign. Cutting the delivery pipes sounds like something that has Bouley or his cronies all over it.
I assure you I meant it purely in jest. I wouldn't let Bouley touch the heater in my house with a vaccum cleaner.
steamer69 wrote: I got welders, the lathes, milling machines....a whole shop.
Again,... awesome.
Again, YOU got all that stuff, but Cullen does not. SO, take him up to your place and teach HIM. Let him use YOUR tools to learn stuff. And give him a better project to tart with than WRR 250.
steamer69 wrote: You act as if the steam world revolves around the sun that is the Valley Railroad. I'll tell you what Pete....for a know nothing trainee you shure do talk a good game. The steam world does not begin, nor does it end at the shops in Essex CT.
Wrong. I use them as an example of a SUCCESSFUL steam operation. And I use JDC as a source of reference because he knows more about he business than you do, Brett. He was scraping muck off the frames of locomotives as a volunteer when you were in kindergarten.
steamer69 wrote: You doom and gloom wana be foaming tards can't get out of your own way long enough to see that the steam world in New England is dying a slow death because you harp this crap to death.
"Nooow you're getting naaaastyyyyyy...." -Indianna Jones
Ok, so... if we're all just sitting on our butts not caring and allowing steam to die off in New England, how come 3025 is RUNNING? How come Monson 4 is RUNNING? Why is Monson #3 being worked on?? Why the heck is BOOTHBAY still in business? And I don't just mean running teakettles in a circle, I mean boiler-making business?
I'll tell you why, because we're not throwing hundreds of thousands into engines that ate beyond help, were working on engines that CAN be saved. If we cant find a good enough candidate inside New England, we go OUTSIDE to find one that IS worth running. Some engines are beyond the scope of an operation, even like the Valley, of being worthwhile to repair. Those engines are best stuffed and mounted so that engines that CAN be saved DO get saved!
steamer69 wrote: Well...I got news for ya. You can weld the delivery pipes back on. They weld boilers, so how you gona sit there and tell me that they can't weld the stinking dry pipe! I've been part of welding them back together!!!! The crown sheet is not the death of the boiler or the locomotive. Judas Priest you just pop the stay bolts, cut the old sheet out and weld (yes you can weld on a boiler) in the new one.
I'm not. I'm telling you that 250 is not worth the effort. I do not in any way shape or form mean to belittle the efforts of you guys up there at Passumpsic, but you're not under FRA up there. You guys have the right idea working on a shay that has been in operation and hasn't had things welded together that shouldn't be, as well as things (not just the dry pipe) cut that shouldn't be. I know of one locomotive in particular that, despite the best intentions of a certain volunteer group, will probably never see service again because of WHAT and WHERE was cut and/or welded on it. It's boiler COULD be fixed, yes, but after that, then what?
steamer69 wrote: Not one thing you have said tells me that the wrapper, sides, mud ring, thoat, tounge, 1st 2nd and 3rd courses are bad.
And noting you have told me has made me belive that they're NOT. YOu don't know and you wont't until the thing is strippped down and exaamined, on that we agree. But then what? YOu fixx the boiler, then what?
steamer69 wrote: Re-doing running gear is not the end of the world. You saw this stuff being done to the 3025 in Essex, yet it can't be done. HELLO.....deet di deet deet da deet.....News Flash....That locomotive was burned up in a house fire and was rebuilt....even though it was a basket case!!!!
BIG world of difference between 3025 and 250. BIG! I'm talking STAR TREK big!
3025 had been running less than 10 yrs before we got it. She was mechanically sound when we got her. Most of the damage was cosmetic. The cab needed rebuilt, but the ultrasound proved out what we already knew from the get-go, that the boiler was SOUND to begin with! Why? because the Chinese OVERBUILD!
JDC was THERE in China when it was built, he helped writhe the SPECS for the thing before it came over!
But here then is the crux of the matter... the man that made 3025 run again was someone with years more experience in the field than you, me and Cullen combined. Oh, but don't just take my word for it, there are plenty other people besides JDC who say 250 is a lost cause. They're all working on engines that CAN be made to run again or they're cosmetically preserving those that cant. Why? Because they actually have ACCESS to those engines!
I'll wager Priscoli wouldn't let anyone near 250 with tool that doesn't work for him directly, why? "Da-da-da-DUPM-da-daaaaaaaaa...." INSURANCE! You get hurt on 250 it's his butt!
SO, pry it from his fingers first,.. then talk.
Were you or your buddy Cullen there at the Baldwin shop when 250 was built? No,.. didn't think so, neither was I.
steamer69 wrote:( Rebuilding engines is not that hard to do. )

Yes, it IS! It's HARD, dirty, frustrating, back-breaing, knuckle busting WORK.
And you, Brett, of ll people should KNOW this!
If it wasn't, EVERYBODY would be doing it.. but they're NOT. You gotta really know what you're doing... and Cullen DOESN'T.
steamer69 wrote: Yes, it takes money. Yes, it takes time. Yes, it takes people....but it is not the earth shattering, universe ending remonstrance it's being made out to be.

You left out sweat, skin, blood... a large portion of your SOUL... you left out KNOWLEDGE and CERTIFICATION...
My point is there are other engines besides 250 that can be worked on that CAN run again. You just have to LOOK! There are enginss being worked on now! But they're in better shape to start with than 250.
steamer69 wrote: WWDCD?
how about WWJDC do? (Because we alredy know he wouldn't start with 250)
Me, I'd find a place that already has an engine running.. OH, like YOU did at Passumpsic,... and I'd work there for a while before I jumped up and said "I'm gonna make that engine RUN."
And I wouldn't go around telling kids "OH, fixing an engine is EASY," either! Because it's NOT.
It's hard, dirty, frustrating work, and it takes OODLES of cash!
But in the end it is worth it. You just need to pick a winner before you start.
  by Cosmo
 
steamer69 wrote:
Cosmo wrote:While me and Steamer go back and forth over what is or isn't possible...
How many engines have you rebuilt that you know what can or can not be done? Not trying to be a dink.....but you talk a good game, just wondering how many return to service inspections you have done.....
More than Cullen has, I assure you.
(not trying to be a dink, but...)
And I talk a good game because, like you, I've played it. I just don't leave out the gorey details when talking to the young first draft picks. :wink:
  by steamer69
 
Point very well taken Pete. I'm just asking that we at least concider her as a candidate for an engine. If one is looking for a "New England" engine, there are not too many possibilities. In terms of going to Multi-power, yes...by all means you can get another SY, JS, or QJ. The cost associated with these locomotives is relatively low when comparisons are made, but these locomotives are yet again all spoken for (the ones all ready here).

In terms of the "gorey details", they need not be blown out of perportion as I feel they are in this case. When looking at an engine that may be able to travel, and still "pull it's weight" to make it worth while, medium size engines such as the 250 are where it's at (IMHO). In that class what engines do we have left in New England? At my count there is only the 250, 501, and 470. The reason I cite those three engines is because I believe that they are "touchable"....meaning that the current owner hold on them is such that a lease or purchase of them would be at least discussed without an imediate "not no, but HECK NO". Others like the CV 220 have the interest, but are deemed to be an integral part of a collection that can not be parted with durring the regular operating season. The 220 is a perfect example of this. She is the right size, is being worked on as we speak, and is generally good condition from the work that has already been done to her. There isn't an issue as to weather or not she could be run, but the museum would only allow it after the museums regular season. So that means only "ski" trains or a polar express type deal.
I think that you would be hard pressed to justify the cost and man hours needed for such an arraingement that really has no hope of making a proffit, where as another locomotive like 250 could theoretically be bough and used year round. Fit her with a remote box for a diesel assist, and there would be no place in the new england area that she couldn't run. I know what you are saying about the bearing issue, and yes you are correct about a lot of railroads having an issue with interchainge of friction bearing equipment. However, like everything else, there are ways around that. I have watched railroads in my area intechainge friction equipment a lot. There is more to that story than just friction so no.
An engine being worth the effort to restore or work on is a matter of oppinion, and nothing more. You and I can sit here and post back and forth until the cows come home about reasons you say it's not, and reasons that I say it is. Our oppinions won't change, like you said, "until the thing is strippped down and exaamined". Even then, it's up to the people working on it. There are engines that have come back from FAR FAR worse, I assure you. I have worked on a couple of them. At least give me this....just because you don't think it's worth it doesn't mean that others in the industry feel the same way. Some of us have not had the luxury of being able to get an almost brand new rice burner and live in the lap of steam luxury. Yes, I just called you guys spoiled, having worked one of the rice burners I can say that. Good on ya for having the money to get her, and being able to have 3 running engines. Yet again, not everyone is that lucky.
And as for having people come to our railroad and learn.....we work every Sunday, and there is always something for people to do. There is an open invitation to anyone who wants to come. I believe that invitation has been extended to others on the appropriate thread. So, Ball is in his court then. And still, even with you citing the Maine operations, where the main line steam at Cos? Essex (sort of) and....sometimes Conway and.....

By the way I asked you how many YOU have done. I don't care how many Cullen has done....why do you keep dodging that question? Unless you haven't done any....
And I'm not dumping on or questioning JDC. I have a lot of respect for that man.
  by Cosmo
 
steamer69 wrote:Point very well taken Pete. I'm just asking that we at least concider her as a candidate for an engine. If one is looking for a "New England" engine, there are not too many possibilities. In terms of going to Multi-power, yes...by all means you can get another SY, JS, or QJ. The cost associated with these locomotives is relatively low when comparisons are made, but these locomotives are yet again all spoken for (the ones all ready here).
There are more where those came from. there is a site online for a company that is willing, for aa PRICE, to bring them here and even gives an option for making them FRA compliant.
steamer69 wrote:In terms of the "gorey details", they need not be blown out of perportion as I feel they are in this case.
they weren't. Trust me.
steamer69 wrote: When looking at an engine that may be able to travel, and still "pull it's weight" to make it worth while, medium size engines such as the 250 are where it's at (IMHO). In that class what engines do we have left in New England? At my count there is only the 250, 501, and 470.
.
470 and 501 are NOT "medium sized" engines. Not as far as New England steam goes.
steamer69 wrote: The reason I cite those three engines is because I believe that they are "touchable"....meaning that the current owner hold on them is such that a lease or purchase of them would be at least discussed without an imediate "not no, but HECK NO".
"Touchable... " yeah, and I'll sell you a nice beach in Arizona, right on the ocean! No, seriously, if you think that others with more experience than our friend Cullen has, haven't tried to "touch" EITHER 470 or 501,... dude!
BOTH those engines have histories of having attempts made to restore or preserve them. I'll give you that 250 may be in better shape than 470.. but good luck getting the city of Waterville to let you "touch" their engine to find out. Let me know how that works out for ya.
As for 501, let's not go there.
steamer69 wrote: Others like the CV 220 have the interest, but are deemed to be an integral part of a collection that can not be parted with durring the regular operating season. The 220 is a perfect example of this. She is the right size, is being worked on as we speak, and is generally good condition from the work that has already been done to her. There isn't an issue as to weather or not she could be run, but the museum would only allow it after the museums regular season. So that means only "ski" trains or a polar express type deal.
Ok, you have me there. I confess I don't know much, if anything about the 220, but that just goes to show you that there are other engines for Cullen to get involved with than 250.
steamer69 wrote:I think that you would be hard pressed to justify the cost and man hours needed for such an arrangement that really has no hope of making a profit, where as another locomotive like 250 could theoretically be bough and used year round. Fit her with a remote box for a diesel assist, and there would be no place in the new england area that she couldn't run. I know what you are saying about the bearing issue, and yes you are correct about a lot of railroads having an issue with interchainge of friction bearing equipment. However, like everything else, there are ways around that. I have watched railroads in my area intechainge friction equipment a lot. There is more to that story than just friction so no.
Not CSX you haven't. And certainly not the MBTA. There's a reason that the ALCO's in Hopedale/W. Upton weren't moved off property to someone that wanted them.
steamer69 wrote:An engine being worth the effort to restore or work on is a matter of oppinion, and nothing more.
I dissagree. I say it's a matter of money that neither you, nor I nor Cullen has. That, aand the fact that Mr Priscoli won't even talk to aanyone about it. Maybe when he sells off the entire property, 250 and all to someone more willing to talk...
steamer69 wrote: You and I can sit here and post back and forth until the cows come home about reasons you say it's not, and reasons that I say it is. Our oppinions won't change, like you said, "until the thing is strippped down and exaamined". Even then, it's up to the people working on it. There are engines that have come back from FAR FAR worse, I assure you. I have worked on a couple of them. At least give me this....just because you don't think it's worth it doesn't mean that others in the industry feel the same way.
It is the opinion of others "in the industry, NOT "the hobby," not the pastime, the INDUSTRY, the TRADE, the FIELD, that I base my suppositions upon.
steamer69 wrote: Some of us have not had the luxury of being able to get an almost brand new rice burner and live in the lap of steam luxury. Yes, I just called you guys spoiled, having worked one of the rice burners I can say that. Good on ya for having the money to get her, and being able to have 3 running engines. Yet again, not everyone is that lucky.
If "luck" is what happens when skill and preparation are met with opportunity, then yes, we were fortunate. We were also "lucky" to have Mr Conrad at the helm... oh, wait, no.. that was GOOD BUSINESS DECISION. Gee... maybe it WASN'T so much "luck..."
I surmises that luck had less to do with it, and that it was more a matter of some good decisions made based on industry and business knowledge and practice and experience.
Or,.. maybe we just picked a winner this time.
steamer69 wrote:And as for having people come to our railroad and learn.....we work every Sunday, and there is always something for people to do.
CULLEN, TAKE NOTE!
steamer69 wrote: There is an open invitation to anyone who wants to come. I believe that invitation has been extended to others on the appropriate thread. So, Ball is in his court then. And still, even with you citing the Maine operations, where the main line steam at Cos? Essex (sort of) and....sometimes Conway and.....
Well, it aint up at Passumpsic either.
steamer69 wrote: By the way I asked you how many YOU have done. I don't care how many Cullen has done....why do you keep dodging that question? Unless you haven't done any....
I'm not the one making the outrageous claim to have 250 run again. I'm just saying what others who have been down to look t the thing have said over, and over, and over...
steamer69 wrote: And I'm not dumping on or questioning JDC. I have a lot of respect for that man.
[/quote]
And yet, his opinion regarding the 250 means what to you?
  by steamer69
 
Cosmo wrote:There are more where those came from. there is a site online for a company that is willing, for aa PRICE, to bring them here and even gives an option for making them FRA compliant.
Like I said, it's called Multipower International.....I've gotten parts from them....
http://www.multipowerinternational.com/
Cosmo wrote:they weren't. Trust me.
That is still an opinion, not a fact. Still round and round about that....I give up.
Cosmo wrote:470 and 501 are NOT "medium sized" engines. Not as far as New England steam goes.
Another opinion difference my friend. Look at the drawbar pull, the driver size, the tractive effort, tonnage ratings etc
Cosmo wrote:Ok, you have me there. I confess I don't know much, if anything about the 220, but that just goes to show you that there are other engines for Cullen to get involved with than 250.
Not if he wants to get hold of an engine that will run at some point. That's what I was saying about 220....even though there is interest ing doing it from all sides, there is nothing there to merrit a full on 1472 and form 4. Beautiful engine though. You should go check it out sometime.
Cosmo wrote:It is the opinion of others "in the industry, NOT "the hobby," not the pastime, the INDUSTRY, the TRADE, the FIELD, that I base my suppositions upon.
As do I bud....as do I. This is what I am trying to get you to realise. There is more than one opinion of the locomotive in the INDUSTRY, the TRADE, the FIELD...
Cosmo wrote:Well, it aint up at Passumpsic either.
Captain Obvious Strikes Again. I never said, nor did I imply that there was main line steam at Passumpsic. There isn't any "main line" steam in New England Pete....none....zip....zilch....nada.
Cosmo wrote:I'm not the one making the outrageous claim to have 250 run again. I'm just saying what others who have been down to look t the thing have said over, and over, and over...
Still not going to answer the question? I'm begining to think that you have never done any heavy rebuild work....
Cosmo wrote:And yet, his opinion regarding the 250 means what to you?
Have you ever been with him to do an inspection? Have you ever read his inspection reports? I have the one he did on B&M 494. There were three parts to the report. Cosmetic, Mobile, and Operable. He goes into depth about the status of the locomotive and what it would take to do each of the three types of restorations. From reading that report, I have a very good idea about how he inspects locomotives. He dinged parts of the 494 boiler as well, but no where in ther does he say that it is "dead" or that he wouldn't recomend doing the restorations. So I guess what I am trying to say is I want HIS opinion on the boiler....not you just saying that he has been going around dumping on that engine saying that the whole thing is nothing better than scrap....because I have never heard him dump on other peoples engines.....ever.....
  by Cosmo
 
I worked side by side with him on 3025.
I've read his reports.
I've also seen the look he gets when the 250 is mentioned.
I've hear him say "That belongs in the shrine."
I worked closely with he man under his supervision (and that of others at VRR) for the better part of a year, and I do not make references lightly.
Heavy rebuilds? Myself, all alone? None.
Part of a team that has DONE a successful rebuild? Yes, I have. The 3025 is running. It was a lot of hard work, sweat and frustration, but it paid off because at the core of the operation was a good locomotive.
I say again, restoring a locomotive is WORK. HARD work. LOTS of it. VRR 3025 took a TEAM to get it going again. It also took the financial backing of a stable business.
When you find a stable business that can back getting 250 to steam again, considering it's going to be a LOT more work, money and time than 3025 took, you come talk to me and we'll all go knock on Priscoli's door together.

Look,... you said there was considerable interest in CV 220 steaming, but despite that, it's not possible or practical Meanwhile, you're trying to sell Cullen on 250?
I've seen NO real interest outside of a curious few to get 250 going again. Why? Because aside from her time at Wolfeboro, she's not a historically significant engine TO NEW ENGLAND. And yet, you make comparisons to mainline steam... yet 250 is NOT a mainline steam engine!
Look at it another way,...
...let's say that tomorrow (speaking VERY hypothetically, ) that Priscoli agrees to sell the locomotive to Cullen (assuming also that Cullen has the cash on hand to buy it,) at "scrap value." What then?
First, he has to TRUCK the thing to where he can work on it. Will you let him drag it up to Passumpsic and work on it there? Will the others at Passumpsic be keen on that prospect as well? Then what? Either a brand new boiler or extensive rework, ALL Of which you do yourself, since you have the shop and the tools to do it, RIGHT? Or what, drag the boiler down to Strassburg? Up to Boothbay? MORE TRUCKING, more $$,... and then what?
Ok,.. so.. lets say you and Cullen somehow pull all that of and you come out with a good, CERTIFIED boiler, assuming that the cost of final inspection is worked into the price of... what was it? 250,000 "new" from Strassburg? SO ok, then what... what do you have?
A BOILER! (and a whopping BIG bill from Strassburg AND the trucking company.)
So,.. now, were looking at probably a half a mil easy, considering that JDP wouldn't let it go for much less than 100,000, the trucking... gas is not cheap, diesel fuel even less so...) and the rebuild or new-build. Yeah, close as you please to half a mil by the time you get the boiler done.
And THEN what? You still have the REST of the thing to rebuild!

SO, before you go selling the idea of 250 to a kid with pocket change, better let him know his pockets should be about $1,000,000 deep at LEAST.
  • 1
  • 7
  • 8
  • 9
  • 10
  • 11
  • 13