Railroad Forums 

• Conway Scenic Railroad (CSRX) discussion thread

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1491813  by b&m 1566

They do turn off the power to the crossings after the last train, I've witnessed it a few times with Steam in the Snow. I was told it cost about $30 a month per crossing just to keep the power on.
 #1491907  by b&m 1566

With a 2nd dome car in route to them, is it safe to say that the CP Reed Car will now only be used during the foliage season?
 #1491937  by NHV 669

Confirmed on the back of Lake Shore Limited #48, currently showing a 1731 Arrival to Albany-Rensselaer, 3 hours late.
Last edited by NHV 669 on Wed Nov 21, 2018 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #1491944  by NHV 669

Apparently the old owners ran it as a restaurant excursion business, out in the Barstow area. The recent changes at Amtrak have made it cost-prohibitive to continue on. They stated they would ride the car to Albany with a TRAINS journalist on board, perhaps a future article will enter print soon.

Didn't see anything about the Swirks being onboard.
 #1492016  by John Smythe

coal 004.JPG
coal 004.JPG (690.14 KiB) Viewed 903 times
A friend of mine in N. Conway notified me that CSRX plowed to Hazens earlier this week to keep the line open for new car arrival, car did make it to Albany, NY on Wednesday. That's all to report.

On another topic, because I love the aromas of soft coal burning, I have totally rehabbed a old railroad pot belly stove & travelled to Penn this past summer to buy a load of steam locomotive grade Bituminous Coal to burn in it. Same source as that of Conway Scenic Railroad. Purchased 1 Ton of a stove size / lump size mixture, used a U-Haul trailer to carry it home.
Last edited by John Smythe on Thu Nov 22, 2018 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #1492092  by b&m 1566

I doubt it, most likely it will be used on the notch train. I imagine the CP Reed will be relegated to autumn use only, not sure there's enough ridership to warrant 4 first class cars for the notch train during the summer. I think the two dome cars and the dining car will be sufficient.