Railroad Forums 

• Bay Colony/Cape Cod rail line

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#909437  by checkthedoorlight

I just finished mapping the MBTA Middleboro line down to Lakeville. I know Amtrak used to run trains east of here to Hyannis, but what is the current state of the track now? The MBCR timetable states that the Bay Colony RR takes over at this point. If anyone has a mileage list or any other info that would help me properly map the rest of this line, it would be most helpful, thanks.
 #909455  by F-line to Dudley via Park

MassCoastal gained freight rights 2 years ago. They took over Cape Cod from Bay Colony, and the Fall River and New Bedford lines from CSX. CSX interchanges with them at Middleboro yard. Bay Colony is reduced now to only working a small portion of the Wattupa branch west of New Bedford.

I haven't seen a track map of this area. It's out of MBTA district...state Executive Office of Transportation owns all the Cape Lines. Might see if there's any old Amtrak scans lying around from the Cape Codder days.

Track is in good condition, 1980's vintage upgraded for the Cape Codder, which ran '86-96. I don't know what rated speeds are, probably not fast but a good slight deal better than a freight branchline. All single-track. There's an incomplete signal system on the line with conduits, signal stands, and some signal heads sitting unused. The Cape Codder's '96 cancellation meant worked stopped when it was pretty far along and never resumed. The magnificent lift bridge over the canal was fully refurbished just a couple years ago by the Army Corps of Engineers and is in best shape it's been in years.

MassCoastal operates the Cape Cod RR seasonal dinner train between Buzzards Bay and Hyannis, re-using the old Cape Codder stations which still have their Amtrak-installed ADA mini-high platforms. They've been trying to woo the T for access to Middleboro station so they can shuttle to the end of the commuter rail, but T is mum to the idea so far.
 #909527  by atlantis

Yes, our "abandoned public investment" sitting largely unused while the "commonwealth" of Massachusetts chants the "no money" mantra while funding road expansions on the Cape and elsewhere. Until recently, I lived near the wasted Buzzards Bay station, and Cape Cod Central in the past year did what it could to upgrade the station a bit for its dinner trains. Last year, the state supposedly was going to support a CCC-run commuter rail connection from Middleborough to Sandwich, with weekend service to Hyannis as an initial rail service. Apallingly, but not surprising, this didn't happen, with the state citing its "no money" excuse. Now the latest convenient reason/excuse
is that the RR ties between Boston and Middleboro need replacing. All things being equal, this makes sense and is a legitimate reason. But with the "commonwealth" having danced around the issue for the better part of a decade, it remains to be seen whether the extension will happen soon. Although ultimately it's up to us to speak up.
(preaching to the choir).

Hopefully, we can hold the state's proverbial feet to the fire and common sense will prevail. but in this state, politics usually trump logic.
 #909567  by checkthedoorlight

BayColony1706 wrote:Go to http://capecodrails.railfan.net/ There you will find Bay Colony Track Maps.
Thanks so much, this is exactly what I was looking for!

The MA map still has a ways to go (I've done all of the MBTA south side except for most of the B&A, but none of the north side yet) but Boston looks absolutely stunning. It will be worth the wait, believe me!
 #909571  by fogg1703

CSX interhcanges with Mass Coastal in Middleboro for the Cape Line and Cotley Jct Taunton for the NB/FR branches. Mass Coastal maintains Bay Colony's trackage rights between Middleboro and Cotley Jct to move locomotives around, however no freight.

Does anyone know where Mass Coastal keeps their FR/NB locos when not in use? Do they use the Dean St loco to switch cars at Cotley?
 #909581  by F-line to Dudley via Park

atlantis wrote:Yes, our "abandoned public investment" sitting largely unused while the "commonwealth" of Massachusetts chants the "no money" mantra while funding road expansions on the Cape and elsewhere. Until recently, I lived near the wasted Buzzards Bay station, and Cape Cod Central in the past year did what it could to upgrade the station a bit for its dinner trains. Last year, the state supposedly was going to support a CCC-run commuter rail connection from Middleborough to Sandwich, with weekend service to Hyannis as an initial rail service. Apallingly, but not surprising, this didn't happen, with the state citing its "no money" excuse. Now the latest convenient reason/excuse
is that the RR ties between Boston and Middleboro need replacing. All things being equal, this makes sense and is a legitimate reason. But with the "commonwealth" having danced around the issue for the better part of a decade, it remains to be seen whether the extension will happen soon. Although ultimately it's up to us to speak up.
(preaching to the choir).

Hopefully, we can hold the state's proverbial feet to the fire and common sense will prevail. but in this state, politics usually trump logic.
There's a chance of that. CSX is almost certainly going to cut a deal with MassCoastal in the near future to cede all its local freight rights on the Plymouth and Middleboro lines. The FR/NB rights sale was just first salvo. CSX can make a lot more money interchanging only and greasing the skids so the shortline parter grows that interchange traffic. They'd just run to Middleboro yard and scale up the MC exchanges, and on the north end run only as far as Braintree yard to exchange with MC on that side and continue their pretty lucrative sludge train interchange with the Fore River Transportation micro-shortline. That's going to put MC on MBTA trackage with cab signal-upgraded locos. Meaning they get lots of wooing facetime with their state landlords to show what doting good neighbors they can be. You better believe they're going to use that to make a second, much stronger pitch for the passenger operation to Middleboro. Maybe even eventual limited expresses to Boston, and Providence (if they got an ACSES-equipped train) via the old Cape Codder Attleboro branch routing. This isn't over by a longshot, but the state is being frustratingly obtuse by not even having a friendly what-if chat. MC's growing its freight business a lot and pitching "We will give you more free passenger revenue with a top-notch transfer service your customers will like having". Really superb little operation they're running. This is simple zero-risk economic stimulus. But that's provincial Massholia state gov't for you.
 #909668  by F-line to Dudley via Park

checkthedoorlight wrote:In a related question to the area, what is the current status of the New Bedford and Fall River lines? They aren't even in the 2010 edition of the CSX Albany timetable
In 2009 line ownership was sold off to the MBTA and freight rights to MassCoastal. CSX only runs in that region to Middleboro yard to exchange with MC. Per the agreement MC must guarantee exchange traffic levels, so total amount of CSX goods running to Middleboro is not much different than before. They merely save cost of running the lower-margin locals.
 #909822  by pharmerphil54

Actually CSX doesn't have the freight rights on the Plymouth line,those and the rights to the Greenbush line were given up by Conrail in 1982. At that time the Bay Colony was the operator. There are no freight customers on either line.
 #909983  by b&m 1566

Rather than start a new thread, I just have one question to ask? When was the rail line going to Provincetown abandoned?
 #910099  by eagle628

b&m 1566 wrote:Rather than start a new thread, I just have one question to ask? When was the rail line going to Provincetown abandoned?
Sometime prior to the demise of the New Haven in the early 1960s, I believe.