Railroad Forums 

• Housatonic Railroad Thread (Maybrook, Berkshire, Pittsfield)

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1541135  by J.D. Lang

The apparent low bidder for Phase II of the project is Railworks. More than you probably ever want to know about this project can be found on this COMMBUYS page -
https://www.commbuys.com/bso/external/b ... entUrl=bid
Thanks Train60. This is very encouraging that the work is to be done by a qualified company and to Class 3 standards. Amazing that MassDot is putting this much effort and money into this line. With the different phases looks like it could all be done in around 3 yrs.
 #1541758  by FLRailFan1

highrail wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 12:13 pm Interesting feature piece in Railfan & Railroad on the Housatonic. Such a rosy picture, which may be true, but feels a bit puffy. I wonder how the folks feel at the Berkshire Scenic, given their struggles to deal with the Housatonic management.

Steve
May issue of Railroad & Railfan?
 #1541759  by FLRailFan1

Safetee wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 1:12 pm In a word no. Berkshire Scenic and Housatonic for a variety of reasons will never do things together again like they used to do in the 80s.

As far as the run to Adams, the track's gone between Pittsfield to Adams.
The track is gone, but did Massachusetts railbanked the ROW. At least Connecticut did. Too many rail-trails, but at least we could re use the ROW...
 #1541785  by Safetee

just because there's a bike trail does not necessarily mean it's not rail banked. one of the key provisions of the federal rail trail program is that rr rows can revert to rail from trail if the public good requires it. of course taking it back can be a struggle, but technically speaking rail trail is not the end of the rail.
 #1541786  by scoostraw

Safetee wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 1:12 pm In a word no. Berkshire Scenic and Housatonic for a variety of reasons will never do things together again like they used to do in the 80s.
Unless the Housy is forced to by the state.

Massachusetts now owns the trackage and is installing CWR. There is no way they are not going to have a say in what happens.
 #1541787  by scoostraw

njt/mnrrbuff wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 9:06 pm That's too bad that the prospects are looking low for BSR operations between even Lenox and Stockbridge resuming. I rode that in 2010 and had a great time. It would be great to at least still have something running from Lenox to Great Barrington.
There might be something even better running.

I have this fantasy about the BSR's Budd Car idling at Pittsfield station to provide an across-the-platform transfer from Amtrak for service to Great Barrington...
 #1541883  by DutchRailnut

Derby is not official interchange point for HRRC or Panam. , last I heard now switch points are removed ? pretty sure someone will verify,