Railroad Forums 

• Restoring the Conway Branch

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1130026  by Mikejf

The interchange track was not across from the station. The pictures I see of that track it is storing cabooses. The interchange was across the road where Conway Scenic meets the Mountain Division. Used to be 3 tracks through there, right up until Conway Scenic started running to Bartlett. MEC mainline, B&M main with switches at both ends to get to the MEC, and a siding, with a tail track that went toward the road.

Interchange would have been wood products mostly. Log loads to B&M and the Conway Company could have shipped out through there, though I have found no mention of it yet.

Here is a quick diagram I made, copying out of Maine Central RR, Mountain Division book.

#1130029  by gokeefe

miketrainnut wrote:Used to be 3 tracks through there, right up until Conway Scenic started running to Bartlett. MEC mainline, B&M main with switches at both ends to get to the MEC, and a siding, with a tail track that went toward the road.
No kidding. I had no idea those track lasted as long as they did.

Thinking through the posts of the past couple of days I was trying to imagine interchanges that were done with only the existing arrangement and figured B&M would have simply left freight cars directly on the main line. A ridiculous notion if you really think about it, especially given the grade.

It's interesting to see the difference in thought between this thread and the Augusta Lower Road. Here it seems realistic to only describe what has passed. The Lower Road through Augusta appears to have a somewhat better chance at an operational future.

On the other hand it also seems clear enough that if placed "just right" a major industrial plant in that part of New Hampshire could change things almost literally overnight. It might not be as far fetched as we think. If the mill in East Millinocket can get restarted then there is hope for almost anything.
 #1130049  by Mikejf

I don't see someone just building something in the north country any time soon. Could happen, but I bet we are well aware of it before anything actually takes place. Planning and securing what is needed is a must in todays economy. We all know just because there is rail there doesn't make it a "shoe in" for rail service.
 #1130161  by gokeefe

miketrainnut wrote:I don't see someone just building something in the north country any time soon. Could happen, but I bet we are well aware of it before anything actually takes place.
Certainly.

I'm merely pointing to the idea that "lost causes" aren't always so. Obviously plenty of people knew before hand that East Millinocket was going to get reopened but it was most definitely a shocker when it was publicly announced. Such could be the same for industry along the Conway Branch.
miketrainnut wrote:Planning and securing what is needed is a must in todays economy. We all know just because there is rail there doesn't make it a "shoe in" for rail service.
Even more true than the first statement. If those conditions were the case Maine would have three or four times as many mills running today as they do at present.

However, the real key, at least that I've seen is the existence of a viable corridor, specifically an intact right of way. That most certainly does exist in this case.

So long as that is the case there is reason enough to believe that restoration is at least possible, if unlikely.
 #1131332  by CVRA7

Thanks for the Intervale details, Mike - Sue & I were just up there last weekend working the MBRRE Steam in the Snow train. I always wondered what the track arrangement had been there back in the day. I do remember thinking I saw evidence of more than one track on a summer trip we had been on, but with the snow we couldn't see much evidence of the old ties this time around.
 #1132039  by Mikejf

The MEC side track across from the station was single ended at some point in time, with the switch being on the East side of the station. And as stated by B&M 1566 before, that siding was removed between '75 and '78. Most B&M trackage survived, accept for possibly the track to the freight house at Intervale and some switches, into the mid '90's when Conway Scenic began running to Bartlett. During the summer, the old ties can still be seen from the train.
 #1276229  by gokeefe

While I don't think restoration is by any means imminent the Town of Somersworth is conducting a deliberative process regarding future passenger rail service in their town. A full post with the associated article link is in the New Hampshire Commuter Rail Thread. Future service to "points north" is mentioned in the article. At the moment this effort is the only process underway which could potentially result in the restoration of any kind of passenger service on the Conway Branch. My personal expectations remain low but the very existence of such an initiative seems noteworthy in of itself.
 #1276266  by gokeefe

Rockingham Racer wrote:This reminds me of the plan in MA to start service to Methuen, MA [next to Lawrence] on the former B&M M&L Branch. Unfortunately, the plan went nowhere fast.
And so I would think the same thing is going to happen here. What I find odd about this is the apparent enthusiasm of public officials with no apparent source of funding or political support at the state level. If they start to work on cooperation with other towns or municipalities along the rest of the branch then I think this will be something to take a little more seriously. After all the fact of the matter is that the Branch is largely intact and actively operated on both sides of the break. That is certainly different from some proposals which would require reactivation of long abandoned or otherwise dormant lines.