The Grand Trunk Railway of Canada gained control of the the Central Vermont Railroad in 1884 ( R&LHS History 147 ) but it
was always a separate company. After the devastating floods of 1927 the railroad was reorganized as the Central Vermont
Railway, Inc. starting February 1, 1930. The GTW was operated as the Western Lines of the Grand Trunk Railway of Canada
and was not a separate company- the line in New England was the Eastern Lines, again not a separate company. The Grand
Trunk became part of Canadian National Railways in 1923 and for legal reasons it was decided to retain the Grand Trunk
name for operations it the US and in 1924 the GTW was organized as a separate company in the US controlled by the CN.
Ownership of equipment and movement back and forth across the boarder became complex with issues involving US vs.
Canadian ownership, construction and assignment, customs duties and so on. US owned and constructed locomotives
lettered Grand Trunk on Eastern lines weren't allowed to cross the boarder by Customs after being relettered CN. For this
reason Eastern lines, never a separate company, operated with equipment lettered "Grand Trunk" but owned by and
leased from GTW. As time went by many short term leases of locomotives and equipment from one entity to another were
made as traffic required. In 1971 the Grand Trunk Corporation was set up as an umbrella to hold CV, GTW, DWP and some
other US entities, with the CV being sold to Railtex in 1995.