Railroad Forums 

• Katahdin Woods & Waters Rail Access

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1401133  by gokeefe

I am curious if a passenger train can get from New York City (GCT?) to Millinocket, Maine overnight (12 hours +/-) to bring visitors to the new Katahdin Woods and Waters National Monument and if so what the timing and routes would look like. My instinct is that it could be done but I don't have a very good idea of what the route would look like beyond the obvious segment in Central Maine and parts of the route of the Downeaster. Presume for the moment that track slots are available at will.
 #1401159  by Mikejf

Are you expecting a flood of people? Baxter State Park is much more interesting than the new National Park..and no one is taking the train, but of course it is not offered. A lot cheaper to bus them from Portland or North, than to try and get a passenger train up there
 #1401248  by NYC27

The fastest one-seat route from NY to Millinocket is the Shoreline to Boston Switch, RI, up the P&W to the Pan Am all the way to Northern Maine Jct (via the Lower Road) and then CM&Q to Millinocket. To get the freight only portions up to passenger standards would be prohibitively expensive. And let's be honest KW&W Looks like a really boring state forest right now. I doubt it will draw well. Look at it this way, Acadia is the most visited National Park and doesn't generate trainloads of visitors (Downeast Scenic doesn't count). Lincoln and N Conway, NH to Boston look like home run rail routes compared to passenger rail to Millinocket.
 #1401305  by F-line to Dudley via Park

NYC27 wrote:The fastest one-seat route from NY to Millinocket is the Shoreline to Boston Switch, RI, up the P&W to the Pan Am all the way to Northern Maine Jct (via the Lower Road) and then CM&Q to Millinocket. To get the freight only portions up to passenger standards would be prohibitively expensive. And let's be honest KW&W Looks like a really boring state forest right now. I doubt it will draw well. Look at it this way, Acadia is the most visited National Park and doesn't generate trainloads of visitors (Downeast Scenic doesn't count). Lincoln and N Conway, NH to Boston look like home run rail routes compared to passenger rail to Millinocket.
We went through all this many times over on the AMTK subforum's Maine writ-large (i.e. non- current Downeaster) thread. The PAR Worcester Branch + Fitchburg Line + Stony Brook Branch + NH Main + Lowell Branch bypass for reaching the Western Route was never at its tippy-top historical speeds faster than projected time taking the B&A inbound from Worcester to Allston, going down the Grand Junction, and reversing at North Station onto the regular full Downeaster routing. Poster 'The EGE' even detailed the math in immaculate detail. There will never ever ever be NYP-Maine service of any kind that bypasses Boston, no matter how many times uninformed and mouthy TRNE says that's a viable alternative. The math disproves it even before you get into what a mess squaring rights and operator qualifications in all that non-AMTK territory is going to be. And that's before you even get to above-and-beyond upgrades like max-build Class 5 on the B&A that hits 90 MPH on the Springfield-Palmer straightaways, or future Class 5 on the NH Main south of Wilmington to the Downeaster's benefit.

As for the P&W Groton main, if the Inland Route plan happens and upgrades the B&A to an even Class 4 from Springfield to Boston, all that Class 3 track up the I-395 corridor is probably not going to beat a New Haven-Springfield-North Station routing most oft-proposed for a NYP-Portland train. The combo of a finished Class 6 Springfield Line that hits up to 110 MPH in a couple spots and an upgraded B&A--in spite of the inevitable geologically-induced slow zones Palmer-Worcester in the hills--probably matches or beats the best you can do on the Shoreline + P&W while tapping the ridership of Hartford and Springfield instead of the meager Old Saybrook and/or New London patronage. Any NYP-Portland train is going to need the farebox recovery of those big cities to justify its existence, as well as glom as closely as possible to disguised regular (semi-express) Inland + Downeaster slots for the ridership that overchurns at all the big cities. It's the only way for NYP-Portland to usefully shield its above-and-beyond operating expenses enough to justify its above-and-beyond costs: piggyback with artful sleight-of-hand onto the existing demand. Sticking to the routings of the more frequent Inland + DE schedules also keeps you fully inside existing Amtrak rights and revenue-service territory the whole way, so crew qualifications do not add any cost until you clear the northern limits of the Downeaster.

I also think you're going to need a timed transfer @ 'Nocket with a revived VIA Rail Atlantic to give such a route any sort of compelling hook to a wider audience. In more practical terms, if the Atlantic does come back there's good enough impetus to study an I-95 Thruway coach connector between Brunswick (or future Augusta) and 'Nocket or Mattawamkeag connecting the Downeaster and Atlantic schedules. Train transfer probably isn't going to have the patronage to make all those extra running miles worth the cost for at least the next several decades, but seating capacity of a bus can definitely make its margins shorter-term for usefully linking the Downeaster with trips to Quebec & The Maritimes on a single ticket...provided it was promoted well enough and every trick in the book were used to streamline Customs. (Note: Atlantic wouldn't qualify for Customs pre-clearance a la the Adirondack, Montrealer, or Cascades because of local stops on both sides of the border. It would need to retain a border Customs stop a la the Maple Leaf, but that process can certainly be lots more streamlined than it was when service last ran in 1994).
 #1401331  by CarterB

Why? Who wants to visit endless pine trees, fight for your life dodging huge fast logging trucks, mud knee deep, no restrooms, no other facilities for food gas etc.??
Hard enough to get to really great venues such as Bar Harbor or other great down east locations
 #1401335  by gokeefe

I should clarify that the train I have in mind would be a one time or perhaps at most a "once (or twice) a year" charter from a big city. The purpose of usefulness of this would be to get publicity for the new park.

To answer those who ask about the location and the worthiness of visiting it ...

The isolation and "getting away" from everything are priceless but more often or not places like that are fundamentally inaccessible for city folks. To be able to say, "You can take a train to the edge of the Great North Woods and experience the greatest wilderness in the Eastern United States" is something else entirely. I think it would appeal to cross-section of folks for whom isolation and challenge are positives.

I felt this similar appreciation once when traveling on the Allagash several years ago and I know it is a feeling that those who have had the luxury of growing up near might not appreciate.
 #1401361  by CN9634

Consider a few things for a moment, NYC to Nocket will require moves on at the least 3 railroads (maybe more?). There is already talk (and I use that loosely) of a seasonal train going Montreal to Sherbrooke, with expansion plans to Maine. Why not sponsor a one time Montreal to Millinocket trip? You'd have great views along Moosehead and up into Nocket and only need to work with CMQ (if your board at Farnham). The only drawback I suppose is you are targeting Canadians to support the US National monument/park but at the end of the day I think you have a bigger market in Montreal than in NYC.
 #1401399  by CarterB

gokeefe wrote:
The isolation and "getting away" from everything are priceless but more often or not places like that are fundamentally inaccessible for city folks. To be able to say, "You can take a train to the edge of the Great North Woods and experience the greatest wilderness in the Eastern United States" is something else entirely. I think it would appeal to cross-section of folks for whom isolation and challenge are positives.
Perhaps a noble thought....however...how do they get to/from Millinocket, to the 'wilderness'? Where to they eat, drink, stay? Would take a lot more logistics/tour guide than just a train to get there. I'd rather see the "Bar Harbor Express" returned from DC/PHL/NYC.
 #1401423  by F-line to Dudley via Park

CarterB wrote:
gokeefe wrote:
Perhaps a noble thought....however...how do they get to/from Millinocket, to the 'wilderness'? Where to they eat, drink, stay? Would take a lot more logistics/tour guide than just a train to get there. I'd rather see the "Bar Harbor Express" returned from DC/PHL/NYC.
Yeah. First things first: the recommended Inland Route upgrades per the Northern New England Passenger Rail study, then glomming on an NYP-POR train to the conjoined Inland + Downeaster routings via an upgraded Grand Junction Branch. Get the access to the rest of the national rail network established and well-hidden inside of the operating costs of pre-existing routes so it makes its farebox recovery. And then you have many, many options for special excursions around Maine. Or just cross-ticked bus transfers to special events throughout Maine. Start with a timed cross-platform transfer at PTC for these one-offs and see what sticks. Rockland, 'Nocket...wherever it's not too hard to swing a collective few times per year at limited-liability that doesn't require engaging the machinery of studies and infeasible route extension proposals. NYP-POR via the pre-existing Amtrak routes is the critical set of moving parts that enable these special options, and that piece can conceivably happen within 10 years for short additional money if Massachusetts commits to building the recommended Alternative for the Inlands.

(I definitely think if the Trudeau Administration decides Atlantic restoration is a worthy pursuit that a timed Thruway coach out of Portland or Brunswick + streamlined Amtrak/Thruway/VIA cross-ticketing is too good an immediate offer to pass up.)
 #1401429  by trainsinmaine

There are more than a few of us who would love to see the Atlantic return. It's a long shot, but not altogether improbable. The Trudeau government is the most train-friendly that Canada has seen in twenty years.
 #1401431  by CarterB

Where might a reborn Atlantic possibly connect with an Amtrak train? Would the Atlantic be an overnight train again or daytime?
 #1401453  by F-line to Dudley via Park

The Atlantic, as of its last operating schedule in 1994, had station stops in Maine at Jackman, Greenville, Brownville Jct., Mattawamkeag, Danforth, and Vanceboro. For a Thruway coach you would either pick the one closest to I-95 ('Keag), or the largest population center that's on a state highway not terribly far from I-95 (Brownville).

Here's the 1988 schedule: http://www.traingeek.ca/files/1988-atla ... hedule.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. Route ran 3 days a week, and the Maine stops were mainly in the mid-evening eastbound, early morning westbound. Obviously schedule times of any revival are unknowable until there's a formal restoration proposal, and chances are the number of stops in Maine would be trimmed down to a more manageable 3 or 4 instead of keeping all the tight pre-VIA era legacy spacing. It'll be a point of negotiation between VIA and Maine about what times would work best for a Thruway connection synced with the Downeaster. An early-bird DE slot may be a worthwhile addition for squaring things up, but it all depends on what starting point VIA offers in terms of a proposed schedule.
 #1401461  by CN9634

CarterB wrote:
gokeefe wrote:
Busses, hotels and restaurants. Have you ever been to Millinocket?

Also, I do not propose bringing back the Atlantic... maybe something more like the Acadian. Definitely not a sustainable enterprise for a consistent service, but if you think of passenger trains akin to the cruise ship market, you could feed into the same market for in-land tours and adventures on a few weekends in the summer.
 #1401476  by CarterB

CN9634 wrote: Busses, hotels and restaurants. Have you ever been to Millinocket?
Yes I have been to Millinocket as well as many other places upstate Maine. And just how many of your trainload of "rail cruisers" are going to stay in the likes of Kahtahdin Cabins? or dine at Loose Moose Bar & Grill...and just how many total hotel,motel or B&B rooms are there? Adventurers perhaps, "cruisers" unh uh And just how comfortable will these passengers be in a bus on logging roads in the wilderness? If it doesn't indeed bog down in the mud in the first mile.