Railroad Forums 

• Brattleboro and Bellows Falls Train Stations

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1399208  by shadyjay

In the view looking north from Brattleboro, the track on the right has been out of service for many years, though it's still connected at both ends and, in theory, could be put into service, but would have to have brush cleaned up. The mainline is to the left, continuous welded rail was installed in 2011. The line is still very much in use with daily freight trains and the Amtrak Vermonter, not Ethan Allen. I don't think the railroad can do any weed spraying, so that may be why the tracks are overgrown in that particular spot. Also, there's a good amount of ridership. Not the "any remaining passengers" as stated in the "blog post".

I remember an article/blurb in Railpace about relocating the Brattleboro station and that it was "real close" to breaking ground. That must've been 2000. Not sure where it would've been relocated to.

I should also add that Amtrak is once again offering space to bring your bike on board the Vermonter, seeing as how the o/p went on a bike trip to Vermont.
 #1399295  by DepotScooter

Your picture of the Connecticut River at Bellows Falls shows trackage of the Green Mountain Railroad to Rutland which follows right along the river up to Riverside, the last location of Steamtown before it relocated to Pa. While scenic along that stretch, the Vermonter does not use those rails. At Bellows falls, Amtrak stays on the New England Central line and crosses over to New Hampshire into North Walpole.