Railroad Forums 

• Webster/Dudley and Southbridge, MA

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1466271  by jakedawg

NHBuddsN1P2M7M6 wrote:NHBuddsN1P2M7M6

For any railfan looking for information, regarding, the towns of Webster, Dudley or Southbridge, may I suggest that three copies of NHRHTA Shoreliner would be very beneficial, namely, Vol.21 Issue 2 1990, Webster on the N&W Branch, Vol.21 Issue 1 1990, 150th Anniversary of the Norwich & Worcester Branch and Vol 12 Issue 2 1981, Southbridge.
The articles are loaded with some great photos and solid information on the operations in these three towns. Check the NHRHTA site for back copies.
Webster - 1840 the Norwich & Worcester, 1860s Boston, Hartford & Erie, 1880s Providence, Webster & Springfield (B&A Spite Line) and in 1912-13-14 most of the grading for the Southern New England (Grand Trunk) would be completed, but no finished rail or trains would ever operate.

Hi NHBudds: I have been searching for the Southbridge Branch issue of Shoreliner magazine for YEARS! Any idea WHERE I could find one??
I was fortunate to grab a copy of the Webster Branch issue (with outstanding articles by John Mrazik) back in the 90's.
THANKS for the help!

- Tom
 #1466643  by Scalziand

jamoldover wrote:
csor2010 wrote:
F-line to Dudley via Park wrote:Also no junction, at least not while the B&A was operating the branch. B&A service ended in the 1950's after one of the major hurricanes (I forget the name at the moment). Parts of the line through Oxford were taken by the Corps of Engineers to build flood control dams, which forced the abandonment.
That was the double whammy of Hurricanes Connie and Diane causing the Flood of '55.