• Amherst Show - 2015

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by RGlueck

New England Steam Corporation will be in the BLC, with historic collectibles, prints, and display artifacts. We will update everyone on Maine Central 470, what we've all accomplished together, and what you can expect from us this year! Drop by and purchase our "Built American" tee-shirt, see a copy of the recast builder's plate, see the reconditioned headlight, have your children ring the bell. Join NESCO or renew your membership at the table.
There's plenty in store for the largest steam locomotive remaining in all New England!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  by rovetherr

I'll be hanging out at the VRS booth in the Mallory building both days, I'll be the bearded gentleman in a very bright t-shirt! :-D
  by umtrr-author

I mentioned on another thread here that I saw Bob's Photo, but not Bob himself, at a Railway Prototype Modeler's meet earlier this year. Displayed prominently were notices that he would not be returning to Amherst, period.

As for the other party involved, all I will say is that he has been on my 'ignore list' on any boards on which he posts.
  by Cosmo

All I can say is that it's a damn shame Bob won't be at Amherst anymore. I will continue giving him business wherever I see his booth.
  by Tower35

After reading the policy about being invited or dis-invited to exhibit at the show, I can understand the position of the powers that be to make good judgement calls to protect the integrity and quality of the show. Some mistakes can be made and can be easily resolved. But I have also learned more about the incident that got both partys banned from the show after tensions escalated. Unfortunately Bob became part of the "zero tolerance" when in fact it was one who agitated the whole situation. I think I would have a short fuse with this individual. Unconfirmed, but I have also heard the agitator was also banned and asked to not attend another regional show.

Who would think that with a hobby we all love that it would come to this? Bob has been a fixture for many years. Gonna miss him.
  by Narrowgauger

Bobs sign has been displayed for many years with no problems because this is a hobby. However whatever info you have been told the short of it is this. Al Mayo stood in front of Bobs and started taping Bobs tables. He then zoomed on the sign and began yelling about the sign offend him and that Bob was nothing more than a racist. Even though Bobs family is an interracial one and im sure Al Mayo's is not. At that time Bobs wife asked Al to move along as he was impeding peoples access to the tables and making a scene. After that a confrontation broke out. Bob as well as Al received a letter uninviting them to the show .
Now for some unexplained reason, Al was re invited. One can only guess why . If both were not allowed then one can understand that was fair. But to remove a well liked vendor because of a race baiter is nothing short of disgusting and cowardness on the Amherst folks. Many modelers whom know both parties are less than happy about it. I personally know when this person posts on other forums that's the end for many many people. This is my hobby to get away from outside troubles. I don't think this belongs in a hobby that is one of the best for starting life long friendships. Shame on all involved.
  by Tower35

If indeed this is true that Al was re-invited and Bob was not, this further reinforces my feelings about the ARS management to cave in to someone like Al Mayo to somehow placate him and keep the peace.

What a shameful way for a family oriented train show to operate and become politically driven because of ONE person!

For that reason I will not attend the show to meet otherwise fine friends who have more common sense than those who are in charge. This show has evolved into somthing that doesn't reflect its original purpose. It used to be fun until it became strictly regimented. Like the folks who mistakenly setup at the wrong tables to be chastised and banished, I'm outta here!
  by DepotScooter

Bob's booth was always my first stop at the show so I could get another picture of the Claremont Junction station. Looks like I'll be saving the gas money this year and won't go down if that's how they run things now. Ban both or neither.
  by Tower35

I also see on the exhibitor list that the Southern New England O-Scalers will not be there. In years past their modular and extensive layout was truly impressive running long freights. They even had working signals and a lot of real estate devoted to yards and engine facilities. You could tell these guys put their hearts and souls into it. From what I understand the guys in the club made many out-of-pocket expenses to be there. After awhile they may have decided it wasn't worth the sacrifice and not justified. Too bad because their layout was a centerpiece of the show.
  by Reader#108

I will not be attending this year either.......

It's really a shame that people just can't get along.

I read things here, and on FB and really chuckle hard at how people take the hobby

WAAAAAAAAAY to seriously.......

Like William Shatner said in the Saturday Night Live skit back in 89........

GET A LIFE
  by Mikejf

Who does Al Mayo represent and where does he set up so I don't accidently grace his booth?
  by Cosmo

His company/business "Monster" is not on the exhibitor list. I would surmise that, while the "no trespassing order" was lifted for (apparently) BOTH him and Bob, neither one will have a table there.
Of course, that is a guess based on what I have gleaned so far.
Sorry Mike, he could be anywhere filming video at any time.
  by Narrowgauger

Mikejf wrote:Who does Al Mayo represent and where does he set up so I don't accidently grace his booth?
Last year he was selling (without a paid table) from a club from Conn. Im hearing that club was issued some sort of notice not to show with Al this year but with all the backtracking the Amherst folks are doing who knows.
  by Narrowgauger

Cosmo wrote:His company/business "Monster" is not on the exhibitor list. I would surmise that, while the "no trespassing order" was lifted for (apparently) BOTH him and Bob, neither one will have a table there.
Of course, that is a guess based on what I have gleaned so far.
Sorry Mike, he could be anywhere filming video at any time.
Al never paid for a table. Just sold from the club layout. Bob WILL be at the show. He wont have tables , but thats not the reason he will be there for.
  by Cosmo

I am really starting to think that this is not the year for me to make it up there again.