Railroad Forums 

• Can anyone identify this Loco or Station?

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1289143  by MaineCoonCat

Found this in with some stuff that belonged to my parents. Based on dates on other photos with it, I'm guessing it was taken around 1936. It was with a photo of a station at Oak Bluffs so could it have been on Martha's Vineyard also? Thanks in advance!

#1289145  by S1f3432

On page 110 in "New England Country Depots" by Edward A. Lewis, 1973, there is a picture of a station with a nearly
identical roofline and trim captioned as being at North Foxboro, MA, on the Boston, Clinton, Fitchburg & New Bedford
Railroad between Walpole and Taunton. There are differences, however. The platform canopy and ground floor windows
are of a simpler design and a small addition is added to end of the building towards the photographer. Possibly later
modifications as that roof is quite distinctive.
 #1289156  by Bill Reidy

The station pictured is the old Cataumet station on Cape Cod in the town of Bourne. View is looking toward Buzzards Bay on the Woods Hole branch. The station pictured burned down in 1923/4 and was replaced by the current station circa 1927, now owned by the Cataumet Civic Associates.

According to notes by Wareham railroad historian Howard Goodwin, the train in the photo is the Flying Dude, a private subscription train that ran during the summer season between 1884 and 1916.

I have a slightly better copy of this photo, courtesy of the late Falmouth railroad historian Phil Choate. If I am reading the locomotive number correctly, it is New Haven #1420, which would date this photo to sometime between 1904 and 1916.
 #1289159  by MaineCoonCat

Bill Reidy wrote:The station pictured is the old Cataumet station on Cape Cod in the town of Bourne. View is looking toward Buzzards Bay on the Woods Hole branch. The station pictured burned down in 1923/4 and was replaced by the current station circa 1927, now owned by the Cataumet Civic Associates.

According to notes by Wareham railroad historian Howard Goodwin, the train in the photo is the Flying Dude, a private subscription train that ran during the summer season between 1884 and 1916.

I have a slightly better copy of this photo, courtesy of the late Falmouth railroad historian Phil Choate. If I am reading the locomotive number correctly, it is New Haven #1420, which would date this photo to sometime between 1904 and 1916.
Thanks Bill! How in the heck were you able to read that number? I tried a magnifying glass on the photo and.. Nope! I couldn't make out a darn thing.. :)
 #1289192  by DutchRailnut

which now leads to question how do both of you have same picture.
 #1289208  by Bill Reidy

I have two copies of this photo, both from the collection of the late Phil Choate. One has Howard Goodwin's handwriting on the back, which leads me to assume Howard was making copies of this photo, at least in postcard form, and selling them at train and postcard shows.

The other copy is larger -- 5x7 -- clearer, and less severely cropped. There are no notes on this photo. Looking at this photo today in better light, I am now convinced the loco number is 1420.

Looking through my library this morning, I also see a copy of this photo was published in the book Bourne: A Pictorial History, on page 71.

I don't have either of the Cape Cod railroad books by Robert Farson or Andrew Eldredge handy, so I don't know if this photo was also published in either of those books.
 #1289210  by MaineCoonCat

DutchRailnut wrote:which now leads to question how do both of you have same picture.
The one I have doesn't *seem to be a postcard or promotional item, so it would be interesting to figure that one out.. Mine is on a heavier stock, measures 10cm X 14.1cm (3.94" X 5.55").

* Not knowing it's origin, I can't rule it out though..
 #1289296  by Ridgefielder

Bill Reidy wrote:I have two copies of this photo, both from the collection of the late Phil Choate. One has Howard Goodwin's handwriting on the back, which leads me to assume Howard was making copies of this photo, at least in postcard form, and selling them at train and postcard shows.

The other copy is larger -- 5x7 -- clearer, and less severely cropped. There are no notes on this photo. Looking at this photo today in better light, I am now convinced the loco number is 1420.

Looking through my library this morning, I also see a copy of this photo was published in the book Bourne: A Pictorial History, on page 71.

I don't have either of the Cape Cod railroad books by Robert Farson or Andrew Eldredge handy, so I don't know if this photo was also published in either of those books.
It's in the Farson book-- on page 78, in the section on The Flying Dude: a much less heavily cropped version although since it's small I can't make out the engine number. Looks like an A class 4-4-0 to me though.