Railroad Forums 

• Railroad Preservation of East Washington #101

• Discussion pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Delaware, Maryland, Virginia and Washington, D.C.
Discussion pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Delaware, Maryland, Virginia and Washington, D.C.

Moderator: therock

#1535614  by CrustyTrainGuy6

Hi All,

OK, I know. This is a very aggressive move for someone to make, but you got to have dreams, right? I recently stumbled across the website of Madison Kirkman who runs the McKeen Motor Car Company Historical Society and read that he saved the body of a McKeen Car while still in school. It got me wondering, "What's the status of East Washington Railway GE 45 Tonner #101 right now? Is it still being used? Or is it rusting away on a spur next to the Cogentrix power plant in Hopewell, Virginia? "Now with coal fired power plants being closed across the nation, is #101 rusting away or has it been scrapped?" So many questions and so little answers.

As indicated by this post, my bold move would be if the locomotive were indeed for sale or not in use, that funds could be collected to save the locomotive and maybe move it to somewhere like the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad Museum or the Virginia Museum of Transportation. If the locomotive were not for sale, then at least the company would have me in mind when/if they decide to retire the engine. Personally, I think that it would be better suited at the B&O Railroad museum because the original route of the East Washington Railway was much closer to Baltimore than to Roanoke. If neither the museums had enough space, than maybe the locomotive could go to somewhere smaller, like the Hagerstown Roundhouse Museum or maybe even the Chesapeake Beach Railway Museum (Probably not).

But before I get ahead of myself, why the preservation of this locomotive matters and is feasible:
1. In this day and age, with the suburbs of Washington D.C. forever (It seems) growing and changing, railroads like the East Washington Railway fade into obscurity faster than most other abandoned rail lines. New roadways are built, house complexes are constructed, and the influx of people keeps growing. It is important to keep physical history alive in order to tell the tales of a bygone age, photographs and personal account are only so much when compared to a real, solid, machine.
2. East Washington Railway #101 is one of only two surviving East Washington locomotives and the only locomotive bought brand new. It ushered in a new age of railroading on the East Washington with the retirement of their steam locomotives soon after the diesel locomotive's arrival. For decades it toiled in the delivery of goods to the good folks of Seat Pleasant, and the delivery of coal to the Benning Power Plant which supplied energy to thousands of homes throughout the D.C. area. Finally retired in 1970 after more than thirty years of working on the railroad, it was sold to Pinto Islands Metal Company in Alabama before ending up as the plant switcher at the Cogentrix Power Plant in Hopewell, Virginia, where it remains to this day.
3. If #101 were to be saved, it would be a good fit at the B&O Railroad Museum especially because of it's size. GE 45 Tonners were built to be used as industrial switchers meaning the smaller and stronger, the better. I'm no expert on locomotive restoration, but I infer that #101's rehabilitation wouldn't be nearly as expensive or time consuming as restoring Chesapeake & Ohio Railway L-1 Hudson #490 to Operational Order. All the locomotive would need would be a paint job (Maybe); it would all depend on the funds of course.

If you are experienced in the preservation of locomotives, please give me as much wisdom as you can! I believe that this is definitely feasible if the support is there. Also, if you know anybody who could help with this process, PLEASE contact me or you can reply to this thread. More info to come as I send emails this way and that.

All The Best,

Nick Jobe
Centreville, VA
 #1535615  by CrustyTrainGuy6

Hi All,

Here's some photos of the locomotive in different stages. More to come.

All The Best,

Nick Jobe
Centreville, VA
Attachments:
Google Earth image of locomotive sitting at power plant
Google Earth image of locomotive sitting at power plant
IMG_0073.PNG (10.36 MiB) Viewed 3389 times
Another image of locomotive
Another image of locomotive
IMG_0074.PNG (10.08 MiB) Viewed 3389 times
East Washington Railway 45 Tonner #101 at Chesapeake Junction, Maryland, in 1966.
East Washington Railway 45 Tonner #101 at Chesapeake Junction, Maryland, in 1966.
10-23-2019_004.JPG (1.07 MiB) Viewed 3389 times
 #1535630  by hutton_switch

While the idea of the preservation of East Washington #101 is a nice idea, there is previous history of an almost identical locomotive being discarded and scrapped at the B&O RR Museum.

The B&O GE 45-ton switcher (I forget the number) that served the yards for years at Frederick, MD and later sent to the B&O Museum didn't last all that long while there. Dennis Fulton, a former employee at the museum, recently said in a Facebook forum that the Frederick GE switcher was shortly scrapped after he left.

So it would be better if the East Washington #101 GE 45-ton switcher went to a different organization for preservation, if that were to happen.
 #1535654  by BOMX1200

I'm currently an active volunteer at the B&O and have been since before Dennis Fulton left. There's a lot missing from Nick's post that I feel is valid. First of all the museum is on its 2nd executive director since Dennis left. A lot has changed, some good, some bad. There was a point at which the museum realized that they had overcollected. There were simply too many mouths to feed. At that point all items deemed surplus were offered to any other museum or non-profit that wanted them. Sadly when no homes were found for some items they were scrapped. While I don't even agree 100% with everything that was scrapped I will say that the 44 tonner in question was not worth saving. It was missing traction motors, generators, prime movers, controls, electrical gear, most windows, and most of the hood doors. It was essentially a frame on shop trucks with some body intact. There was nothing left there to save. Especially when there are plenty of 44 tonners still kicking around in much better shape. To hold that against the museum some 20 years later is a little bit on the ridiculous side.
 #1538616  by CrustyTrainGuy6

Sorry folks, this ain't happening.

Unless I win the lottery or become Bill Gates' adoptive son, nothing's going to happen to the locomotive. Realistically, I should never have posted anything publicity about this little "dream" that I had. Something I should know very well by now is that "not everything can be saved". I, as a fan of the East Washington, should be more than thrilled that one out of the three of the locomotives that the East Washington owned is in preservation! (Hocking Valley Scenic Railway #8122) Just imagine being a fan of a railroad like the Virginian, where only one steam locomotive out of dozens was preserved.

At the end of the day, be grateful for what you have.

Thanks for coming to my TED talk.

Nick Jobe
Centreville, VA
 #1551338  by CrustyTrainGuy6

Ok, so this is pretty crazy and I'm still partially in disbelief, but after reading the August 2020 Newsletter of the Chesapeake Railway Association that someone generously sent to me, it turns out that AdvanSix, (which owned the 45 Tonner after Cogentrix closed in 2019) donated the locomotive to the Old Dominion Chapter of the NRHS. The locomotive currently resides at the ODC's Richmond Railroad Museum. This is incredibly exciting and I will definitely consider becoming a member of the Old Dominion Chapter of the NRHS just to see this locomotive. :-D

I'd also like to personally thank whoever sent the newsletter to me. I would never have known about this donation without your letter.

All The Best,

Nick Jobe
Centreville, VA