Railroad Forums 

• Radio Scanners permitted in Canada?

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Canada. For specific railroad questions, see Fallen Flags and Active Railroads categories.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Canada. For specific railroad questions, see Fallen Flags and Active Railroads categories.

Moderator: Ken V

#890087  by CHI_Amtrak_Fan

Are radio scanners permitted in Canada? I've used one to listen to the railroad's radio communication while riding on Amtrak. I'm not sure if I'll be taking one on my upcoming trip aboard The Canadian, but just in case I do, I want to be sure they are lawful. There are a few states in the US that have some laws about their use, so I thought it was plausible Canada does as well. If they ARE allowed... where does one find the radio frequencies used on The Canadian route?

Thanks for your help,
David
Chicago, IL
 #890092  by labaienordique

I was able to pick up a railroad radio signal on my mp3 player on the Algoma Central train (near Dubreuilville). 96,5 fm
 #890346  by Ken V

Using a scanner is not illegal in Canada, for the most part. Manitoba does have a law that prohibits the use of a scanner in an automobile under some circumstances and there are laws across the country against using a scanner to aid in the commission of another crime. For a comprehensive list of radio frequencies used by the railways, pick up a copy of the Canadian Trackside Guide from the Bytown Railway Society.

Since this subject isn't limited to VIA trains, I'm moving it to the Canadian Railfans forum.
 #897428  by MikeCDN

The basic answer is yes. Some provinces have minor restrictions for their use. However, I've never heard of anyone being charged for inappropriate use of them.

Please be respectful when using them. Don't use the information you hear to go and tresspass to get a certain shot. Respect train personel's privacy by not taking pictures of them unless they give you permission - nothing is worse than being stalked by a foamer when you are having a bad day on the job. The railway police know you have them, where you'll be and will approach you.

The majority of railfans respect these rules and it works out for most of the time.

I hope this sheds some light on scanner use,

M
 #897902  by TrainDuNord

In Canada, you have the right to listen to just about any frequency, including cell phones. That's why scanners sold in Canada have access to more frequencies than the same models sold in the US. However, you only have the right to listen. It is forbidden to both record the conversations or repeat what you have heard. That's the federal communications law. Some provinces only have restrictions regarding the use of communications while driving. If you are riding a train (federal jurisdiction), that does not apply.

By the way, I use my scanner every morning in the commuter train while riding the St.Jerome to Montreal line.
 #901242  by jwhite07

I use my scanner every morning in the commuter train while riding the St.Jerome to Montreal line.
Many years ago when I lived within walking distance of a transit station, I'd listen to my scanner before I left the house to get sort of a traffic report. If the chatter indicated things were messed up, I knew to leave early and allow myself a little extra time for the commute. ;-)