Railroad Forums 

• Railfanning Canadian Transit Systems

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Canada. For specific railroad questions, see Fallen Flags and Active Railroads categories.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Canada. For specific railroad questions, see Fallen Flags and Active Railroads categories.

Moderator: Ken V

#415455  by NJTKid01

hey guys, I have a possible plan in the future to railfan a transit system outside of the U.S., meaning Canada for me. So, I wanted to know, What would be a system that would be most worthy of looking into? Thanks!

#415555  by Ken V

I'd say it all depends on what you're looking for. Montréal, Toronto, and Vancouver each have heavy-rail, longer distance, commuter trains.

For urban rail: Montréal has their Métro, an unusual rubber-tired subway system; Toronto has an extensive network of streetcar routes; Vancouver has the SkyTrain; while Ottawa, Calgary, and Edmonton each have some minor light rail operations. If you want buses, they're all over the place, but this isn't buses.net.

If I had to pick one, my choice would be Montréal as there are two commuter train routes there, one electric, that run both ways during the day and also on weekends. There are a number of others that operate weekday rush-hour only.

#415633  by NJTKid01

My only concern in Montreal is that the system is French-biased since the city's dominant language is french, would that pose any problems with the Montreal Metro?

#415945  by Ken V

If you are concerned about not knowing any French, I don't think you'll have much of a problem using public transit in Montreal. I have encountered some bus drivers who didn't speak English, but not that many. Most transit employees who deal with the public are fully bilingual. Also, the two main train routes (Dorion/Rigaud and Deux-Montagnes) both serve largely English speaking areas of the city.

For more discussion on the subject, you may also want to read this thread from the VIA Rail forum.

#434258  by chuchubob

Not speaking French wasn't a problem with respect to the Montreal Metro. It's worth a ride just to experience the rubber tires.