Railroad Forums 

• Park engine ownership (6167)

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Canada. For specific railroad questions, see Fallen Flags and Active Railroads categories.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Canada. For specific railroad questions, see Fallen Flags and Active Railroads categories.

Moderator: Ken V

#191562  by ajw

How can you go about finding out who has the true ownership of a park or display engine. Mainly 6167 that is at the Guelph station. Dose the city of Guelph have true ownership of this engine ? There thas been several statements made that they wish it move or cut up, but when approched on it there dose not seem to be any true reply's.

Can any one give me an assment on this engine as to where it is a candate to be restored or is it too far gone?
 #191710  by ajw

I new it would take this net to get a reply on this, I have asked the city about this and they did not reply, thanks very much. I will now see if I can get an up date from the commity. Do you know if this unit is too far gone now to be used under it's own power, even after this restoration.

#194033  by 2spot

The impression I have is that it would be extremely(!) expensive to restore this locomotive to operational condition again. I read that the firebox is rusty and lets face it, nothing on it has moved in 40 years. Note that it was actually taken out of service in 1964 because it need major work and that in past it was involved in a major wreck. No mechanical part could be used as is, every piece would need restoring. This expertise doesnt come cheap, even with lots of volunteer labor it would take tons of money. I'm not saying it wouldnt be a worthy cause, but time and neglect have probably doomed it to a cosmetic display only. I can think of units that need far less work, used fairly recently, where a boiler rebuild that cant be afforded might have doomed them to a display. Sorry, I know thats not what you wanted to read.
 #194259  by ajw

You have confermed what I new would be the case, but complet overhall and return to operation is not out of the question if you can get the right people on the job. You just need to make sure you have a good head of steam before you open the valve.

Since there are few examples of this type left and there all about the same any more, we just have to come up with a reasion for this uint to run, and convince the people who hold the cash they have a really good idea in getting this unit running. Thats when people like me who do the hands on slide in.

Thanks
 #194524  by 2spot

I wish you well in this endeavor. I would absolutely like to see 6167 under her own steam again. And many more like it.