Railroad Forums 

• Rail service to Calverton?

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
 #731535  by The Tenth Legion

I confused Calverton with Camp Upton, which had a wye. Upton is the site of Brookhaven National Laboratory. Since the NYA serves BNL, wouldn't restoring that wye make it easier to serve, if federal funding could be obtained to do the work. BNL is a federal facility.
 #733111  by Mr GP10

It looks like when the calverton spur is rehabbed, it might be cool to see. Any idea of what kind of customers or cars would be arrving? Tank cars or boxcars? I hope the NYA will be successful for this spur. :-D
 #739583  by JMBethpage

More information on this in today's (11/18) Newsday, page A38. Gov. Paterson has certified $4.8million to rehabilitate the Calverton rail spur. If it gets federal approval, work will will begin in spring of next year. With any luck, we'll be trainspotting on Connecticut Ave. in a few months.
 #740084  by freightguy

There was a more detailed article on the cover of Riverhead's " News Review" 11/19 This is a local paper obviously dealing with Riverhead and the North fork.
 #754474  by gasaxe

Nova55 wrote:There never was a wye there..
Actually, there was. You go walk by where the spur used to connect to the mainline and you can see where the other leg of the wye was.
 #754525  by Nova55

Where the substation is? Ive been down there a hundred times, the only ROW down there I know of is the one there now. I very well could be missing something though. Maps going back to 61' show a single track, curving north, just like the one thats still there. 66' Freight book does not show a wye either.

Care to elaborate?
 #755144  by gasaxe

Nova55 wrote:Where the substation is? Ive been down there a hundred times, the only ROW down there I know of is the one there now. I very well could be missing something though. Maps going back to 61' show a single track, curving north, just like the one thats still there. 66' Freight book does not show a wye either.

Care to elaborate?
The wye was removed shortly after WWII. Go back and look again carefully, it's not readily apparent.
 #755388  by freightguy

I think the Brookhaven Nat'l Lab switch had the wye. It was there when it was Camp Upton and removed maybe around 1968 or so. I think the Grumman plant was built in the early 50's.