Railroad Forums 

• Salamanca derailment - 4/26

• Discussion pertaining to the past and present operations of the LAL, the WNYP, and the B&H. Official site: LALRR.COM.
Discussion pertaining to the past and present operations of the LAL, the WNYP, and the B&H. Official site: LALRR.COM.

Moderator: Luther Brefo

#667176  by highwide

I found the NS Harrisburg Division timetable online (http://www.railfanpa.com/timetable/), so I can answer my own question. The hotbox detetctors on the Southern Tier Line and the Buffalo Line are usually about 20 miles apart. Maybe an axle can go bad in 5 to 10 miles, but someone obviously came to the conclusion that you minimize your risk to reasonable levels by putting HBDs every 20 miles or so. Many bearings must be warm a long time before they fail.

It's way more than 20 miles from Union City to Salamanca. Seems to me that we're being too laid back about the possibilities here. This car started fires as far back as Steamburg and chopped up ties most of the way through the city of Salamanca before destroying the switch at the east end of the siding. On its way it passed through a large bridge over the creek on the west side and over two underpasses. If it had dropped coal cars into Main Street or Wildwood Avenue, the tort lawyers would be crawling down WNYP's neck demanding explanations why management halted hotbox detector installations after the first two. That's just our world today. Better not to learn the hard way.
 #673357  by railfan44

Since the derailment, has WNYP said whether it will install more hotbox detectors on the Hornell to Meadville line? Also, are the detectors on the north-south line actually used?
 #673477  by kf7strng

railfan44 wrote:Since the derailment, has WNYP said whether it will install more hotbox detectors on the Hornell to Meadville line? Also, are the detectors on the north-south line actually used?
As has been mentioned, there are a few on the North-South "Buffalo Line". According to the timetable given, There is one at 76.7(HBD);97.8(HBD\DED);118.2 (HBD\DED; and a DED at 126.7( this one is rumored to be OOS) I cannot guarantee that this list is accurate, but I have reason to believe that the HBD at 118.2 and the DED at 126.7 MIGHT not be operational. I can hear trains calling MP 117, but I don't ever hear anything that comes from 118.2. ALso, while out on the road, I usually only hear the crew calling out 126 (then direction). No detector follows. I do NOT know how detectors work, but one could assume that if they WERE functioning they would atleast report "NO DEFECTS".