Railroad Forums 

• LA&L, WNYP, B&H Diesel Status

• Discussion pertaining to the past and present operations of the LAL, the WNYP, and the B&H. Official site: LALRR.COM.
Discussion pertaining to the past and present operations of the LAL, the WNYP, and the B&H. Official site: LALRR.COM.

Moderator: Luther Brefo

#437438  by pablo

Former DS? And you know the Buffalo line, when the WNYP just got it? Interesting.....

Dave Becker

#437440  by Roscoe P. Coaltrain

pablo wrote:Former DS? And you know the Buffalo line, when the WNYP just got it? Interesting.....

Dave Becker
Gee, what typical fan wouldnt know details about both lines?
 #437461  by Corry Railfan

Jfrmr1 wrote:hey guys, great site, just joined. any info y'all want as far as the jamestown and corry area are concerned, and the new olean line, i am a former dispatcher of the wnyp, ns trackman, and current loram mow employee. i know most of what goes on down this way, happy to contribute

I see NS trackman! Give him a chance!

Welcome to the forums

#437475  by Smtimko

He Jfrmr1:

Welcome aboard! I hired most of the DS on the WNYP during the five years that I was there---I don't recognize you but welcome to the board.

Now what's this "Olean Line" you mention? Do you mean the Buffalo Line or the WNYP Main Line?

What area can you give us updates for? The DS at Falconer are good about keeping me informed nearly every day but occasionally something slips in without warning.

SMT

#437690  by railwatcher

Ok, Let's keep this civil here, as it is a friendly group, it WILL stay that way. We need to remember that statements made on this forum should be not overstated, speculated (and quoted as fact) and not overbearing. People who read this statements include outsiders, customers of the railroad, interested parties, true fans, real, current and former employees, government officials and the railroads competitors.

Gregory M Graves, moderator
 #437977  by Jfrmr1

i didn't mean to stir the pot!! all i said is i know several railroads because i worked for them, i never said i wrote the track plans. i still talk with several people i became friends with on the wnyp when i was there, however, i was not employed during the takeover. i have been informed on the buffalo line developments, though there are two people on this forum that i recognize that i'm sure know more than me. to mr. timko and the cory railfan thanks for the warm welcome, apologies to mr. becker for coming out guns drawn, and hopefully i can contribute something of usefulness.

#438296  by pablo

Hey, no harm, no foul.

Dave Becker

#438303  by Luther Brefo

One of my sources tells me that RRPX 4223 was on a test run with B&H 422 on Friday. The engines ran elephant style to the NS interchange where they were wyed to have the 4223 lead once more, this time, long hood forward.

#438358  by Smtimko

Luther

The 4223 was in the lead, facing east departing Cohocton.

They did not wye at Painted Post. The Dispatcher reports that the crew made a move on the units at the spurs and kept the 4223 in the lead returning to Cohocton, but they were backing up---both units still faced east.

If they wyed the power, both units would have faced west leaving the Post.

The reason for the move at Post was to keep the 4223 as the control unit to evaluate and observe the loading and braking capabilities of the unit. It's much easier to do that when it is the control unit.

SMT

#438369  by Luther Brefo

Thank you for the correction. I misinterpreted what I misread. Two mistakes on my part. Serves me right for reading my messages in a sleepy state. :)
Smtimko wrote:Luther

The 4223 was in the lead, facing east departing Cohocton.

They did not wye at Painted Post. The Dispatcher reports that the crew made a move on the units at the spurs and kept the 4223 in the lead returning to Cohocton, but they were backing up---both units still faced east.

If they wyed the power, both units would have faced west leaving the Post.

The reason for the move at Post was to keep the 4223 as the control unit to evaluate and observe the loading and braking capabilities of the unit. It's much easier to do that when it is the control unit.

SMT
 #439243  by Jfrmr1

An interesting afternoon on the wnyp... I heard a Form d being issued to a NS unit to do switching in falconer. Worth investigating; I think so. On arrival, Form D 114 was being issued to the NS 5338 (GP-38-2) to head west from DV to MS (B&P diamond in Corry, PA). In tow, a GP 38 high hood (ex-southern NS 5101) facing rearwards, 8 covered hoppers, 6 tankers, and a CR gon to finish the consist. NS power being loaned to wnyp, the falconer shop void of engines... I think they might be short on power! :P

#439249  by Smtimko

Yes they are short of power.

Those two units have been leased, as NS says "for an unspecified period of time". Motive power at Cohocton is being made ready to come to WNYP as soon as possible.

As has been posted here and in another forum, WNYP is working day and night, including weekends attempting to keep up with the work. Start up operations are very, very costly and this is no exception according to informed sources.

SMT

#439768  by PVRX1

As of August 28, 2007...........

4- Cohocton - stored
5- Cohocton - stored serviceable
20- Lakeville - out of service - waiting for new wheel sets
72- Lakeville - in service
73- Cohocton - almost ready, has oil leak that needs tending to
319, 320, 321- Lakeville - stored in need of major, major overhauls
418- Lakeville - new compressor to be installed
420- Lakeville - in service
421- Olean - power for OL-1 local
422- Cohocton - in service
423- Cohocton - in service
424- Meadville - in service
425- Lakeville - in service
426- at B&LE RR Greenville shop for wheel work
430- Olean - in service
431- Olean - in service
432- Lakeville - shop - new truck springs and crack repair
433- Lakeville shop - rebuild - now on back burner until easier fixes are
done and more power readied for WNYP
550- Lakeville - shop - to be readied for service
630- Olean - in service
3662- Cohocton - stored outside
3664- Cohocton - stored outside
3666- Cohocton - shop - almost ready
4223- Cohocton - in service - road testing on B&H before heading to WNYP
4228- lost in transit - seriously !
4264- Cohocton - shop - almost ready

The two NS leasers are assigned to Falconer now.

Only 3, maybe 4 six axles for the roster. Rest are being stored for owners until / if needed.

#439922  by thebigham

Thanks, PVRX1!!

Too bad about 4228...