Railroad Forums 

• 426 having problems?

• Discussion pertaining to the past and present operations of the LAL, the WNYP, and the B&H. Official site: LALRR.COM.
Discussion pertaining to the past and present operations of the LAL, the WNYP, and the B&H. Official site: LALRR.COM.

Moderator: Luther Brefo

#542924  by EMTRailfan

My brother just told me that he saw what sounds like 426 in Oil City in front of Electrolloy not running. He said it is still faced to be pulling toward Rouseville. When the ME-1 does outlaw, isn't it usually between Cochranton and Meadville on the way back? Problems (only speculating)?
 #543292  by Luther Brefo

The engines are shut down to save fuel. No need to panic. As the winter and cold weather associated with it have come and gone, the railroads can now save fuel and leave them shut down as they no longer need to keep the cooling system warm (to keep from freezing and cracking radiators, the block, and more). Remember, water freezes at 32 Fahrenheit, most railroads keep them running if the temp will ever approach 40 Fahrenheit and some wait until about 35 Fahrenheit. The other option when there is enough indoor space is to run block heaters or Kim Hotstart systems. IIRC, many of the WNYP/LA&L engines are so equipped. I can recall 421 receiving this upgrade just before being shipped off to the WNYP. The object of the game is to find a balance between keeping the engines warm and saving fuel. So in the warmer months, the railroads mother nature take care of the warmth issue, and in the winter, a bit more fuel is burned.
 #543642  by EMTRailfan

I saw that on another forum too. Oil City isn't one of the most desired places to be anymore.